My birth day gift from my mom

shark3149

Baseband Member
I got a new computer for my birthday.My mother ordered my some parts for a build.She is so sweet.This is what she got me.

cpu: core i7 920 Nehalem

mother board: Asus p6t

Hard drive: Western Digital Caviar 640gb

opi drives: 2 Asus dvd drives

memory: 6gb ocr gold ddr3 1600

power supply: ocz 700 watt modxstream-pro

gpu: sapphire hd 3870 (not so good)

monitor: Acer 22" full hd

case: Thermaltake armor plus full tower

So what do you think? I would have picked a few differnt things but thats ok she tried to do her best with what she could afford.I am just greatfull to have such a sweet mom.This is my first build.I got this stuff yesterday morning.I dove right in and started building it.Well as you can guess I have run it to some problems with the wires.I got it just about all.I just need some help with the fans and the gpu.I dont under stand I have four pin plugs from the fans, but only three pins on the mother board and not much room.Second I found the plug for the gpu but it is way to short to reach the power supply.Please can some one help me? Thank you in advance.

looks pretty nice, hope you enjoy it.
The max my parents would spend on a computer for me would be $500 without the monitor.

Congratz on the PC. Your mom is very cool for ordering you this, was this like totally a surprise for you? Did you come home and you had all this stuff waiting for you? If so it must of been cool!!!

Anyways, I think you can just plug in the 3 pin in the 4 pin slot and you will be ok, correct me if I'm wrong but the extra pin is to control the fan speed or something... I'm not sure how your GPU power cable cant reach the power connector, but try looking on newgg for some extension cables then.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...der=BESTMATCH&Description=6+pin+power&x=0&y=0

thank you every one.Yes this was a total suprise.She has heard me talking about building a new computer but thats it.I never told her what kind or what parts.She taled to some one and they helped her out.I was very shocked as she is disabeled and lives on a tight bubget.I moved back home with her to help take care of her.So I gues this was her way of saying thanks.

The power supply has the cables that come off if you dont need them.I think it would have worked better in a smaller case.I will order a longer one of newegg.I was just triying to get it up and running sooner,but I will just have to wait a little longer.

I don't understand how the 6pin PCIe power cable for your video card is "too short". That's usually a fairly long cable. It sounds like your not using the correct cable.

You shouldn't run into any problems plugging the fan's 4 pin connectors into the 3 pin headers. The 4 wire is for an automatic fan speed control, but it is not necessary on motherboards that don't support that feature.

That's cool bro!

I still cant imagine how it wouldn't reach, but this way u will have plenty of time to do your cable management :) I originally thought you were talking about the 4 pin CPU power connector that are usually placed all the way next to the CPU and its been known that some PSU cant reach there, but you GPU is like in the middle of the MOBO, so unless you like missing some wires or something I'm not sure how it cant be reached... maybe take some pics for us lol. It would be interesting to see.

I will take some pictures for every one.I just don't know how to post them.I will take them now,and try to post them in a few.

I will take some pictures for every one.I just don't know how to post them.I will take them now,and try to post them in a few.

create an account on photobucket and upload them, it's free and then you can upload pictures to share on message boards like this one...

OH! You don't need to use that adapter that came with the card. It's for older PSU's. Just use the six pin wires that come directly from the PSU.

Back
Top Bottom