A multi- RAM issue

Zaki

Daemon Poster
I have 1 gig of crucial 184 pin ddr ram in the form of two 512mb sticks. My mobo (asus p4c800 E deluxe) offers up to 4 gigs, doesnt support ddr2, but has a feature called dual channel.
I need to add more ram to my computer i am using photoshop and it is regularly using 2.5 gigs of ram, and i dont have physical ram to feed that much.

ALSO- i am looking to get ram that can be oced, but i have a problem i hear that if i dont have the same sticks on every port for ram the mobo wont use the dual channel capabilities.
So what do you suggest, should i trash the two sticks of 512 and opt for 2 gigs of ram (because that is how much im looking for) but i dont want to cover all four ports, so id need to get two sticks of one gig ram, that can be oced. So which ram/ ram solution do you suggest.

And whats your processor? You need a good sturdy processor to run photoshop too

I am running Photoshop cs2 @ 1.6 Ghz @ 512 mb of RAM and it runs perfectly.

Also, dual channel is enabled when you use two identical sticks of ram (ex. like 2 x 512 @ 533 Mhz) When dual channel is enabled, the memory throughput is doubled so data going in RAM is equal to going out. If your CPU has a max bandwith of say 10 Gb/s and each memory stick has 512 MB @ 5 Gb/s and dual channel is activated, the CPU's bandwith and memory throughput are equal, which means that your computer is utilizing the full power of the cpu and memory.

i have a 2.4 ghz p4.
anonymousI, the work that i do is quite extensive and belive it or not, it ps is using 2.62 ghz of ram as i type this so.

i dont think its out yet, but a company called OCZ you prolly heard of them before. They just came out with 1GHz DDR2 RAM. IDK when its coming out, but im anxious to see what this stuff can do.

Back
Top Bottom