In Much Need Of Expert Help!!

crawlinws6

Beta member
I am sorry if this not not the right sections. Or if this is not something anyone can help me with. I am just hoping that someone out here can help me.

Over memorial day weekend, while I was in michigan camping. To my home in Brookfield IL. Someone broke into my home and stole over $5,000 worth of my possessions. And to make the matter worse, The 3 day weekend, my home was not covered with homeowners insurance. I had let my old policy cancel out. And waited for my new policy to come in effect.

1 of the items that they stold was a hp laptop that I have remote access on (logmein.com). Now they were on my computer once (5 days ago). And I was able to capture their ip address. (i noticed they were on 30mins after they logged off). the ip address is 24.148.91.144. Now I know an ip can go to another computer if not used. However it is still showing the same lat. long. location. However that gives me an area that the computer is located. As well as my xbox that they have been use (xbox live). The detective is not too helpful with me on this.

What I was hoping for that since this is a computer forum. And most of you know a lot me in regard to computers then me and the general public. I was seeing if anyone here know how to get more information. If someone can please help me further than I can go myself. Anything would be great. I will give any information they need and what not. I am just stabbing in the dark here, to see if anything is a possibility here.

Thanks for reading this. And I really hope that something here would help.
Thanks everyone in advance.

Contacting the police or even the FBI would be your best course of action. They have the tools and personnel to track these things down.

I don't read very well, I see you have already talked to a detective. :eek:

Most of the IP trackers I've seen only give you a general location. I don't know of anything that can give you more detailed information.

I wonder if the IP you have is probably cause to get a search warrant (whatever you want to call it) to get the ISP to release the IP records for that IP address to the police...? Idk if this is how that works though...b/c as you noted, sometimes the IP address comes from a different locale.

Contacting the police or even the FBI would be your best course of action. They have the tools and personnel to track these things down.

I don't read very well, I see you have already talked to a detective. :eek:

Most of the IP trackers I've seen only give you a general location. I don't know of anything that can give you more detailed information.

Ya, I know what you mean. They were on last thursday night. I called the detective right away. Heard back from him Friday afternoon. Called him back Friday, sat, monday. Finally called me back today at 8pm. He is asking me all the questions. I'm providing him with all the intel. And doing all the investigating damn near. He needed me to explain to him was remote access was. And is not to sharp in this regard. He is getting me know where at all! That is why I'm fishing in here to see if anyone know anything that might help further.

I called the isp and acted as a detective to see if they can release any info to me. And they were as useless as tits on a bull. They say they have no way to look up an ip. the ip goes back to a RCN corporation. WHich is a internet provider in chicago.

You could always contact your local FBI office and explain the situation. They might be able to point you in the right direction.

I will try that, I did not think of that at all. Thanks for the input. I'll try that tomorrow.

Your best bet is the local police or local FBI office.
You could also contact logmein's support to see if they have any more information they could give you. 1-800-993-1790 (US and Canada) Open at 4AM - 9PM (EST)

Back
Top Bottom