Motherboard Replacement

That sounds AWESOME!!! Grant, you sure I can put this thing together and get it up and running without something smoking and burning up? (haha) I have never started up an operating system with a new build on my own. An old buddy of mine used to walk me through stuff step-by-step. I'm really excited about the challenge though. I haven't had a new system for YEARS!!!

This is about the most kick ass system you can get your hands on these days
Note that I don't really think this is a necessity at all, but I'm going to post multiple builds. This is at the top of the spectrum. I7 on the 1366 platform with reputable names and the latest graphics techologies available - DX11 support.

Intel Core I7 920
Evga X58 SLI LE
GSkill (3x2) DDR3 Triple Channel PC3-12800
Asus 5870 1GB
Corsair TX750
SeaGate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB/16MB
CoolerMaster HAF932

I did not include an operating system.

This is definitely for someone who wants to play all games minus games like GTAIV or Crysis on absolutely max and get 50+ frames on a 25 inch or greater monitor.

The only way to one-up a rig like this is the 5970, cross-fired 5870's and solid state drives. This is about top of the line for today.

1000 is a great budget to work with :O. Hell you can go I7 with that kind of budget.

I'll work up a design tonight and I'm sure a few other members will chip in with a really good build.

Is it sad that we are both on CF on Christmas Eve? Yes.

Is it awesome at the same time...?

...your darn right it is. :D

Looks like a good build Grant.

Well, you certainly have taken me right to that $1,500. What would you recommend for an OS? You sure this won't be hard to set up for a newb like me? I hate to drop the $ and then blow something up and waste the cash. I gotta tell ya G, you don't mess around when someone asks for advice on a build!!! That was FAST! I appreciate it especially on Christmas eve! haha

Hey man, no problem. I love being here to help and learn. Plus I'm really bored right now :S

It's really easy to build a system. I mean once you see the parts, you'll be a bit intimidated, but it's all plug and play. You really can't blow it up these days. Too many built-in safety features. Plus we can walk you through it all.

Though, I think the first build I posted is completely overkill. So I'm looking between Core2Quad and I5 builds right now which are still very high performance platforms. I7 is at the top of the spectrum because it is a dual threaded quad core (EIGHT! processing threads) Not a lot of games are taking advantage of that, and with the way things are going, I don't know if they will for a little bit. (most haven't even gotten to thread for quad cores yet :O)

I sort of got where I wanted with this build. Still has at least a Quad, with the latest architecture and L3 cache. (though I still side with L2 being better as it's closer to the thread). This also still features a DX11 card. The board I chose has CrossFire and supports DDR3 up to 2GHz. The RAM is 1333 which is a plenty fine speed for the processor.

I am kind of leaving the HDD size and case selection open. I don't know how large of an HDD you need, but I chose 500GB as that is the sweet spot for price per GB. And the Case is more of a visual preference per person. You can post links to cases and ask us if they look decent, but I normally leave case choices to the purchaser as that is what you have to look at, so you might as well like it :D. But also do factor in the cooling abilities and cable management the case has to offer. The HAF932 has the best of both worlds and looks pretty sporty in my opinion, but it may not suit your needs. So have a look around here and see what you like. Note that the case size must be "MID-TOWER" or "FULL-TOWER".

Intel Core i5 750
Evga P55 CF LE
GSkill RipJaws (2x2) DDR3 Dual Channel PC3-10666
XFX HD5770 1GB DDR5
Corsair TX750
SeaGate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB/16MB
CoolerMaster HAF932

It totals to 937.93 before tax (if applicable) and shipping.

Well, if you think a step down is still a good build and it saves me a few more bucks, then maybe that's the better way to go? I would say my apprehensions are getting the cpu on the board correctly and then getting the OS to work properly. Let me know what your second build recommendations are. By the way, I'm bored too. haha

I'm still running XP. You have 7 yet or are you still waiting to hear more on it?

I don't own Se7en. Plenty of our members have used the RC, beta, and own full versions. They all say they are very impressed. I am sticking XP out until Nvidia releases their DX11 cards and some more DX11 games hit the market.

Back
Top Bottom