Motherboard power

D-Lew

Fully Optimized
This may be a little technical but I need advice on this.

You know how old machines used power switches that could be always set on, and then use a remote power switch on a surge protector or something to boot them?

I'm wondering if there's a way to modify a newer computer that uses a power switch that plugs into the mobo to do this.

I wasn't sure if it's okay to just put a jumper over those pins so when the system gets power to the PSU, it automatically boots. It seems like it would work, but I'm worried about if the system tries to do a power-off or something because of a bad error, cpu overheat, etc. it will be unable to.

The reason I need to do this is because I'm planning on making a MAME pc, basically turning it into an arcade machine, and with the components hidden way back in the cabinet it's impractical to open up the cabinet and press the power switch every time I need to turn it on.

Any thoughts on this?

Not sure about the switch for you, but have you though about just lengthening the wires from a regular switch and mounting it to the side of the case you are putting your arcade machine in? Then you don't have to rig the switch and you don't have to open the case everytime. Just reach around the side or the back (wherever the switch is mounted) and push the button. Just a thought for ya, good luck.

I thought about doing that, but I'm not sure. I have to think about how I'm going to set up all the circuitry because I'm going to have a TV as a monitor and I was hoping I could power on automatically with just one kill switch.

Hmm, that would be an issue I suppose. You would need a switch with constant power to keep the tv running. Not sure I'll be any help to you there, hopefully you figure it out.

In theory it should, just have everything hooked into a surge protector then when you flip the switch should work, but I think it has more to do with the older power supplies now that I'm thinking about it.

I'm just worried about two possibilities, one of frying something in the mobo with a constant circuit like that, and two not being able to force a power-off.

Back
Top Bottom