The Motherboard I have is

Model A780GM A
Serial Number K61110E83803609
Northbridge Chipset A.M.D 780G
Southbridge Chipset A.M.D SB700
Socket Type AM 2+

In the specs it says the Front Side BUS is
2,600 MHz 5,200 MTps

Am I corect that the front side bus is the speed of the Data going from the Northbridge to the CPU???

AMD systems are different from older Intel ones. They have Hyper Transport which takes information directly to and from the CPU.

OK I know that Intell Systems work like this.

The CPU is connected to the Northbridge and the Northbridge is connected to the RAM.

This is how the CPU and RAM talk back and forth I get this.
And the Speed between the CPU and the Northbridge is the Front Side BUS.

Now I also know that AMD CPUs are connnected direcly to the RAM and that the AMD CPU has the memory controlor built in.

This is why the RAM BUS is connected directly to the AMD CPU.
The AMD CPU does not have to go to the Northbridge and from there to the RAM.

The AMD CPU can just go directly to RAM without going to the Northbridge I get this.

But why does my specs for my Motherboard say Front Side BUS speed????????

The front side bus connects more than just the ram to the CPU it connects all of the rest of the hardware to it as well. The front side bus also determines the speed of the system overall with the use of dividers and multipliers.

For example the data from the PCI buses carry information to the FSB in order to transfer data from the PCI devices to the CPU. This is why when you increase the front side bus speed it also increases not only the CPU frequency but your memory and other components as well. This is why each individual part in an AMD system has what is known as a dividers and multipliers. So when you increase the front side bus you can lower the divider for things such as ram so that they are not affected by the raise in the front side bus.

Although it is not used by the newer CPU's to communicate with the memory it is still used in determining the frequencies of the hardware.

OK so in an Intell system the Northbridge is connected to the RAM and the PCi E and the AGP.

And the Northbridge is connected directly to the Southbridge and the Southbridge is connected to the iO Devices.

Just tell me if I have this right for Intell systems??

Well actually I think the new intel chips have an on board die that deals with the memory as well and now uses quick path interconnect (QPI). I am not positive but I think it is kinda like the HT which AMD uses.

Yea. The latest Intel platforms work similar to the AMD set ups now.

The QPI link, like the HT link, connects the CPU to the motherboard chipset.

You won't find an FSB on an AMD platform or the latest Intel platforms.

Back
Top Bottom