***Monitor Black Computer Fried Help ** (Serious)

Elusor

Beta member
Hi Brothers,

I go to turn on my monitor, it is plugged in to the power and plugged in properly to the video card in the back of the box of my computer. I am using DVI, the computer itself, I go to power on and wait, and the screen (LCD) remains black. It was not like this 10 minutes ago. I can hear the computer fans, case fan and video card fans. So it all seems fine. The DVD-rom lid opens when I hit eject.

I have a XFX 6800 GS the triple X edition using PCI-E. And an AMD 3000+ processor Opteron. Windows XP Pro.

Do you have a spare video card, or onboard video that you can try out.. or a spare monitor?

follow this guide to figure out your problem

THE BAREBONES HARDWARE FOR VIDEO BY LAMBOFGOD

the only required parts you need for video are.

1.Motherboard
2.Powersupply
3.CPU
4.RAM
5.Videocard /unless you have onboard video

And make sure you have a known good working monitor and power cables for both the PC and monitor,
and make sure the monitor is powered on.

and before when even get down to it , Make sure you have a large enough power supply.
Dont even waste your time doing this if you are trying to boot a system with 2 X1950XTXs in crossfire, and 6 Hardrives with a 300 Watt power supply.

Ok Lets Start

1. REMOVE the motherboard, place it on a Plastic surafce/ such as a rubber mat, or a large square of packing material.

2. Start putting the ram, cpu & heatsink/fan, videocard (some videocards Need additional power make sure you are plugging power into these places as well). ONE thing at a time, double check and make sure everything is in place properly and plugged in I.E. CPU fan.

3. Plug the power supply into the board (some boards require additional power, make sure you are plugging the power into these places as well),

4. Take your case and move it by the board and plug the powerswitch onto the CORRECT pins on the motherboard.(consult your motherboards manual if you dont know where these are)

5. Also try hooking up the small speaker in your pc to the CORRECT pins on the mobo to get a diagnostic beep code. (consult your motherboards manual if you dont know where these are)

6. Hook up the monitor to the back of the videocard, carefully, its not screwed down so it can pop out easily. (if your using onboard video this step does not pertain to you)
If you have onboard video just plug it into the VGA port of the back of the motherboard.

7. Press the power button.

Did you hear any Beeps? any video?

If you still dont have video try this only if you have both onboard video and a Slot based videocard I.E. PCI-E/AGP/PCI pull the Slot based video card and try the onboard)

still none?

If you still dont have any video, Try replacing the easiest compents first, such as Ram, then Videocard, then PSU, then CPU, then Motherboard. Just ONE at a time and try booting and listening for beeps after each one.

Make sure you have known good working Componets your replacing them with as well, and make sure they are compatible.

That should narrow down what componet is causing trouble.

Good Luck, LambofGod

^ haha, awesome write up. Eluser, do you have a spare monitor you can swap in? If that one desn't work either, you know its not the monitor.
If it still does not work i would check the RAM next.
Reseat it and power up the system again. If that still is not working try putting in one Ram stick at a time.
Hope this helps, let us know.

Back
Top Bottom