Mobile-Performance Notebook

TibsBeatAll

Daemon Poster
Hey buddies, its been MONTHS since i've last posted here. I've been so busy with college and all that. I haven't upgraded my computer in forever.

Well, the thing is, now i need a new laptop for college. And I need something light and mobile, while at same time has some performance to it.

I was looking at the Dell 640M series and althought its light and mobile, the graphics processor is only an integrated Intel chip.

So basically what i want is a laptop that has these specs or similar to it.

14.1 inch or smaller
Core 2 Duo processor 1.6 notice how it say Core 2!
1 Gigabyte of RAM
80 Gig HD
ATI mobility Radeon x1400 (i know this is crappy, but hey, its better than nothing)

And i really would not like to pay more than 1300 for this type of system. I can get a refurbed macbook pro for 1300 with an x1600. So, ya know.

And I would be using this laptop for basically schoolwork, and a little bit of medium gaming. Games like CS source, Warcraft, maybe Fear?? too much to ask i think, but hey why not, and some other older gen games.

And i also need it to be somehwat power conserving. I can't have a 2 hour battery. Thanks a bunch.

If you need longer battery life, I suggest a 9-cell battery which cost like in the hundreds. That should last you for 6 hours I think. The lightest laptop I have ever had the pleasure of knowing is the Sony VAIO. Wow, that things got some kind of fiberglass outer shell to make it really durable and lightweight. You should definitely check out those 14" VAIO's. They can be a little costly, but it's fast with even the Core Duo CPU in it. Let me see if I can link you to some:

Sony VAIO C140G/B Notebook
http://www.compusa.com/products/pro...&product_code=341306&Pn=VAIO_C140G_B_Notebook

For the price, it's a great buy. You may not be able to add on a video card, but it should play most games nicely. It's Vista Premium ready too.

Haha, thanks. But that's not really what i was looking for. I need a dedicated video card on my lappy. :D

ASUS V6J-8022P NoteBook Intel Core Duo T2500(2.00GHz) 15.0" SXGA+ 1GB DDR2 667 100GB 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400 - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834220048

Has a longer battey and dedicated video card. Cost more because of that.

ASUS W7J-3P076P NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T5500(1.66GHz) 13.3" Wide XGA 1GB DDR2 533 100GB 5400rpm DVD±R/RW NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400 - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834220097

Woohoo, 6-cell battery!!!! Great laptop if you don't mind the 13" screen.

I recommend the HP dv2000t, you can get it with a dedicated graphics chip Nvidia GeForce Go 7200, Intel Core 2 Duo T5200, 1GB of ram, 14.1 inch WXGA BrightView widescreen display, and a 12 cell battery! Also, for $100 extra you could get a second 12 cell lithium ion battery if you really need a long battery life. Seems like that would suit your needs very nicely, for all that plus a few extras(built in camera, imprint finish, etc...) it comes out to be $1,037.99. It also comes with Windows MEdia Center Edition.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&a1=Usage&v1=Travel%2Fmobility&series_name=dv2000t_series

The ones TRD and hascet delivered actually are better choices than a macbook. Trust me there.

BTW, I remember you!

you remember me?? hahaha, was it for the humongous fights i would have with a certain member named Computer Freak??

And what happened to that old dude who always argued with everyone?? i think his name was blue something.

And the laptops that TRDcorolla named i already checked them out and was very interested. Question is, will the Go 7400 run games like CS:Source and HL2 smoothly, or fairly smoothly.

I saw in benchmarks that the 7400 is very poor, but those are just benchmarks.

assuming you haven't bought a computer yet, I would like to agree with ISOwner, and say get a VAIO lap top. The graphics cards aren't that amazing, but if you get the sz480, you get a hybrid with 317 mb display memory. Plus they are all incredibly light.

However, they are a bit pricey.

P.S. I might be biased seeing as how I am typing from a VAIO right now.

Back
Top Bottom