Memory upgrade | PC won't boot

entralinks

Baseband Member
Hi everyone. I've just upgraded my memory from 256MB to 1GB, I took out the 256 one and only inserted 1GB one so that they don't clash as they are of different makes. Now when I start up my PC, my monitor says 'Monitor is working, check you PC or cable' and nothing boots up, not even that screen where I can get into system setup/bios etc. So from there I have to turn it off by pressing the start CPU button for 5 or so seconds. Help would be loved here, my £40 are at stake, please. :(

My motherboard: http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=37

My new RAM: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....6&ssPageName=MERC_VI_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores

My system:

Windows XP
MSI MS-6507
Intel P4 2.0 GHz
256MB Ram (old)
GeForce 4 MX 420
Seagate (40 GB 5400 RPM Ultra ATA/100)
Maxtor (40 GB 7200 RPM Ultra ATA/133)

Yeah, the problem is that your motherboard only supports PC2100 RAM, and unfortunately, you spent on PC3200. It doesn't recongise it because the RAM is well too new for it :(

Try getting a refund, and buy PC2100 RAM :)

Yeah, the RAM is backwards compatible when it's teamed up with another stick of RAM that is slower than itself. But if a motherboard can only support upto PC2100, then it has problems with anything over that.

I also tried putting my both rams in, my old one is PC2100, but still the same result, CPU runs but nothing comes on the screen. :(

Well then I'm guessing it's your video card.... or possibly a fault with the monitor? What video card do you have? And what monitor?

When I run only my old ram, 256MB, everything is perfect. Its just when I put my new ram, only or with the old one, that this happens.

Is there anything to change or adjust in the bios maybe? I'm not that experienced in bios business either, I know how to get in and how to change stuff, but what to change I don't know.

Yea it won't work with your new RAM because it's PC3200 and your motherboard only supports up to PC2100. It's like me getting some brand new DDR2 fro my AMD system, it just wouldn't run because my motherboard doesn't support it.

Back
Top Bottom