memory upgrade

maanico1

In Runtime
im looking to upgrade my vaio notebook to 1 gig of ram and i was using the crucial.com helper since i dont know crap... it showed me
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?model=VAIO+PCG-K2x+Models&tabid=AM
... and its list price is 61 something, bestbuy has a 512 stick for 199.99 not including installation... i was wondering if anyone knows why theres such a big difference in price and if i did buy the stick of crucial, could i take it to best buy to get it installed

maanico1 said:
im looking to upgrade my vaio notebook to 1 gig of ram and i was using the crucial.com helper since i dont know crap... it showed me
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?model=VAIO+PCG-K2x+Models&tabid=AM
... and its list price is 61 something, bestbuy has a 512 stick for 199.99 not including installation... i was wondering if anyone knows why theres such a big difference in price and if i did buy the stick of crucial, could i take it to best buy to get it installed
Bestbuy would really like you to do that, it will probally cost about $100.00 plus to get it installed :D

The difference in price is pretty mad and not worth it, and I'd expect the chip to be too fast for your laptop since RAM comes in different speeds, which can help with overclockers who want to push their systems, etc.

So thats why that stuff would be cheaper, and DDR PC2700 isn't the fastest RAM around so thats why its also a little cheaper, though this seems the fastest your laptop can support, and laptop parts tend to cost a bit more than standard parts anyway.

So just check the $199.99 one, and tell me that this isn't rated at way above PC2700 as the clock speed :p

I'm not sure if you could, but wouldn't it be rather simple to set up yourself? Does it have a slot? Or would you have to open the laptop up? and if so, are you sure its possible to change the memory amount in that case?

I hope this helps :)

Changing ram in laptops is very simple. Depending on the laptop it will have either 1, 2, or 3, slots. You should always look at the manufacturers site though for specs on your laptop to see if it will take it or not. There will also be DETAILED instructions at the manufacturer's site to explain how to upgrade memory sticks.

hehe, at least I mentioned about the speeds and the price difference of the other RAM chip :p

the k series isnt even on the sony site anymore, any suggestions? im just completely lost in case anyone cant tell

maanico1 said:
the k series isnt even on the sony site anymore, any suggestions? im just completely lost in case anyone cant tell

exactly what is it and the model number and i will take a look for you

Back
Top Bottom