memory problems

Gmork1

Solid State Member
Hello, I just built a computer w/ the specs of..

xfx nforce 780i sli motherboard
intel core 2 extreme 3ghz
8800gtx
160gig raptor (or around that size)/seagate parallel hdd
4 sticks of 2g RAM

I finished copying the files with a vista business disk and it restarted to finish the installation process. During this step it would halt at crcdisk.sys and display a BSOD with the error of "Stop: 0x0000007E" Everything I found about this problem didn't work for me. One of the things I did was buy an IDE hard drive but the problem still persisted. So I start doing everything I can think of to every piece of hardware to figure this out. I eventually removed 3 sticks of RAM and vista decided to finish booting and I got vista and all of my drivers installed. (i still only have 2 gigs of ram and am using the IDE hard drive). I put all 4 sticks back in and still had the same problem. I went back to 1 stick and it booted up fine. So I added 1 more stick, booting up with 2 sticks and it worked. so i added 3 booted up and then 4 and it booted up.

So now for the time being I have a working vista workstation with 8 gigs of ram. But, this computer is for a client of mine and wants the 10,000rpm drive. So I try installing vista but still get the same problem. I removed 3 sticks and installed it successfully with 1 stick. I installed all of my hardware drivers that came with everything. Since then sometimes 2 sticks will work then it will stop working and sometimes 3 sticks will work but never 4.

I tested out each stick of memory by itself and they all work. I put one stick in every port and it worked every time. But once I start adding memory I have the same problem

So to clarify, Vista is allowing 1 stick of ram to work without any errors. But with 2-3 sticks of ram its halting at crcdisk.sys

If someone could please give me their input it would be greatly appreciated :)
Thanks

That hotfix did the trick! Awesome, thank you so much.

The reason I am using this much memory is because i'm contracted by a 3D AutoCAD design company to build their workstations. It helps to have 8 gigs to open their 20-50 gig files quickly.

And in case anyone else has a similar problem then sometimes doing a motherboard bios update will do the trick. A guy yesterday had a problem similar and we went through 3 pages before we finally came to that conclusion lol.

That hotfix did the trick! Awesome, thank you so much.

The reason I am using this much memory is because i'm contracted by a 3D AutoCAD design company to build their workstations. It helps to have 8 gigs to open their 20-50 gig files quickly.
Glad it worked for you

:)

Back
Top Bottom