Memory: Faster or more of it?

Space_Coyote

In Runtime
If have 1GB of PC2700 from my existing PC and upgrade to a new Mobo with PC3200, should I use the older memory as well?

I know that if you mix then it will run at the lowest speed. If I am going to buy another gig should I:

A. Just get another gig of PC2700 and save the money.

B. Get a gig of PC3200 and use the PC2700 as well with the idea of upgrading it later.

C. Get a gig of PC3200 and call it a day (for the moment)

I'm thinking 2GB at PC2700 has still got to be better than 1GB at PC3200 right?

No, you can't use the pc2700 with the pc3200 mobo. It'll cause conflicts. You should just get 1 g of pc3200 to save yourself the trouble.

you may be able to depending on the ratios it allows, and how tolerant the board is... take a look at some reviews to the board and see how flexable the overclocking er underclocking features are...

even sometimes same brands use different manufactures depending on the pennies at the moment... Chip configuration is i think more of what he ment.

Space_Coyote said:
If have 1GB of PC2700 from my existing PC and upgrade to a new Mobo with PC3200, should I use the older memory as well?

I know that if you mix then it will run at the lowest speed. If I am going to buy another gig should I:

A. Just get another gig of PC2700 and save the money.

B. Get a gig of PC3200 and use the PC2700 as well with the idea of upgrading it later.

C. Get a gig of PC3200 and call it a day (for the moment)

I'm thinking 2GB at PC2700 has still got to be better than 1GB at PC3200 right?

I'd prolly get an other GB of pc2700 ram. It would be cheaper than any other option and the best. 2GB of pc2700 is better than 1GB of 3200 and from what I understand if u have both pc2700 and pc3200 ram the pc3200 one underclocks to pc2700 so they can work together. Just check that the mobo works with pc2700 ram, though I don't see why it wouldn't work.

You may be able to use the two different RAMs together but it'll run at the lower speed, 2700.
I'd get a gig of 3200- don't bother about super high speed or latency RAM unless your going to overclock it.

Back
Top Bottom