Memory - 1 GB

gabel1

Baseband Member
I want to purchase RAM for my PC and i am going to go with 1 GB. My question is, is it better to go with a 1GB stick or 2 x 512MB sticks? can someone tell me what the advantage is over the other if any?

well if u wanna add ram later in the computers life, then get the 1gb, and if u dont think u will upgrade again, then it wont matter if u take up the slots or not, so then get what ever is cheaper..

There is a small difference, 2 x 512 is a little better.
And if u get it in dual channel it's going to be even faster. But then if u have like 2 slots for ram I'd get the 1x 1024 since then u have room for upgrading.

If your motherboard supports dual channel get 512x2. if you only have 2 ram slots i would still get 512x2 because a gig will last you probably to your next motherboard/computer.

2 X 512 is usually cheaper than 1GB on a card............

I'm in the same boat.........I presently have 2 X 512MB and want to add another 1 GB.
I think I'll just purchase 2 more 512's as I doubt I'll ever need more than 2 GB.

when you get the new ram do not forget to change your pagefile size to reflect the 1GB...set the page file 1.5 times the size of your ram...with 1 gig of ram you may not need a page file..i would still set it anyway.

2 x 512MB is quite a lot better if you use them in dual-channel config, while you'll probably get a slight boost if not, because of reduced latencies (unless you get an expensive low-latency 1GB stick)

64-bit computing and Windows Vista means more RAM is needed, so you might wanna go with 1GB stick, but if you won't be taking those routes within a year or two, then you might wanna go 2 x 512MB.

Back
Top Bottom