Looking to build a computer

mjm620

Baseband Member
I have about 1k to spend (summer job)and I want to get/build a nice gaming computer. All i have decided on is a WD 160gb hd, a gig of ram and a soundblaster audigy sound card. I figured I would know what processor to get and what video card but after browsing arou nd here im not too sure. Can anybody give me a hand? I dont need a moniter or anything..just a computer.

By the way would I would be using it for gaming, and home use. Would I be better off getting a nice dell or something and upgrade it to have the basic things I want? I would be playing halo, and call to freedom types of games

For a thousand... I recommend getting an amd rig. For that much, a 3200+ amd 64 will suffice. A vid card to play those games would be like: a 256 mb nvidia 6200 or a 128 mb 6600. I have an x800 (a little better than a 6600 but it just depends on the person). If you would like more info.... don't hesitate to ask.

Great, thanks. I have a few more questions as well. Do you have an instant messenger? Here will suffice if not.

You can post anything here regarding your new build. You can build a pretty good computer for about a thousand. If you want to go faster, it's going to cost you more but not that much more. I spend about $1200-$1400? You can see my specs below.

I wouldn't spend too much for a case. Try to keep that less than $50 if you can. The power supply that comes with the case are ok to use so that way, you won't have to spend extra money for that. Your system for a thousand is mid to high end PC, but not cutting edge build.

Why would I want a bigger power supply? Why is 600watts better than 450?
Would getting a 10k rpm hard drive be worth the extra money?

YOu don't need a 600W power supply. For only a thousand dollars, I would not expect it to need that kind of power in the first place unless you got an 800 dollar video card in there. Go for 400-450 watts power supply.

As far as hard drive goes, it depend on your prefernece. 10,000RPM drives are very expensive but faster timing in every way. YOu can also use dual SATAII drives and RAID them together. It's cheaper in the long run because you get tons more storage than the Raptor drives.

Back
Top Bottom