a little confused about ram

Bob94571

In Runtime
Ok i bought this board

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTE0Mjc5NzA1M3JkYUM0bnZuQmhfMV8zX2wuZ2lm

and this memory

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227225

ok the motherboard says that it supports PC3200... The ram is PC4000
now is that just a default they put on mobos or what

would i need to change the HT on my motherboard higher and the multiplier lower to run this ram at full speed?

cuz i know that you processor and ram are linked through the ht speed right?

i dunno maybe im trying too hard ive read like 200 different things and trying to put everything together

Well, running higher speed RAM than your motherboard can offically run is only slowing down your new 4000 speed RAM, which could cause instability.

When thinking about buying memory, you need to make sure your PC supports the speed, as you've spent more than you needed too, and not getting anything from it.

Yeah but ive read reviews on this ram and the motherboards they have are running the PC4000 at 4000 speeds and the MOBOs they have still say PC3200

My ASUs motherboard says the same thing, BUT, if I install a FSB 800 CPU (That I have), it could go up to DDR533.

It is worth to try it out. It usually will make the speeds bottleneck at PC3200 OR it will boot as PC4000.

Unless you overclock its pointless to buy DDR 500 memory. That memory can run at 250mhz. So you would need your HTT set at 250 to get the most out of it.

I dont know what processor you have so I'm just going to use a 3200+ as an example. It as a 10x multiplyer.

You would raise the HTT to 250(to get the memory to its rated speed) then drop the multiplyer to 8 to keep your stock cpu speed. Then because of the higher HTT you would need to drop the LDT ratio down to 4 to keep it stable. If you post your processor I would be able to help you out more.

It is no way incompatible with your motherboard though. It will just slow down to 200mhz if not set manually. Just when they say DDR 500 they guarentee it up to 250mhz.

Ok so if you dont want to overclock your processor this is what you should do.

-Raise the HTT to 250mhz
-Drop the CPU multiplyer to 9
-Lower the LDT ratio to 4 or 3

Now this will give to a SLIGHT processor overclock of 50mhz which is practically nothing. So hope this helps you.

Back
Top Bottom