Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM issues

The_Other_One

Daemon Poster
This isn't such a big deal, but it is annoying... I have this Lite-On drive in my main system that I have all but quit using because of these problems. Basically, it takes a really long time to spin up(seemed to always take a while, even dad's identical one takes a bit) It goes alright once it gets spinning, but sometimes, when I try to skip parts in DVDs or sometimes just randomly, it slows down and starts making horrible noises, almost like bearings are bad or something. It struggles for a bit, usally a minute or so, then it'll get going again. My computer is usally locked up during this, but it'll kick back in once the drive gets going...

It started a few years back and has gotten somewhat worse over time. I popped it open once wondering if it was that top stabalizer thingy, but it looked fine. Any ideas? I'm cheap and don't wish to buy another :p

well, for starters:
1) how long have you had the drive?
2) have you used a cd cleaner in it? to clean out any dust particles.
3) have you tried updating the devise driver's/ or rolling back the devise driver's?

could be just getting warn out...

I think I got it back around late 2001. I remember when it first started making noises...man, that had to of also been around 2002. Heh, it must of just run out of the warrenty :eek:

I'll try a cleaner. We have or had one around here somewhere...

It's a DVD-ROM, some no drivers. Just Power DVD. Drivers ARE NOT the problem because since then, I've had 98, 2000, and XP on that system, all causing the problem...

ok, so it is with your dvd drive then...i think the dvd cleaner should take care of it. just 1- more question.

what size is your ram? could be that not enough ram may be the cause of freeze, or graphics card, not enough ram.

as for the noise, i don't know of a solution other than, try not to bump it or move it around alot.(your comp. that is)

I have 512M ram, virtual mem disabled. I think I had 256M back when I got the drive and the problems started. I know it's not my comp not being able to handle it ;P It goes fine when it gets going. So do DVD quality DVIX vids...

cool then, try the DVD cleaner...but you wiil want to stay away from the one's that have metal brushes for cleaning the lenses & parts.

Back
Top Bottom