Linksys with speedbooster

brutebadger

Beta member
Hello all,

I am new here and I am pretty green when it comes to computers. I recently purchased a Dell laptop and it should be here at the first of the month. My question is this...

I have purchased the Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router w/ Speedbooster and have installed it. I was wondering what this USB adapter is for and do I need it. My Dell will have an internal 3945a/b/g wireless card that I think should work with just the router, but I am unsure. I don't really see the benefits of hauling this adapter around with me with the cord and all.

I am just lost as to what it really even is and does. Do I install it on my desktop or laptop?

If I could get some insight into what it is, what it does and if I will benefit from it. Please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Unless you take a picture we won't know what your adapter is.

Anyways your intergrated internal one in your dell SHOULD work fine. I say should because intel intergrated wireless is the most problematic kind of card that i've seen.

brutebadger said:
Hello all,

I am new here and I am pretty green when it comes to computers. I recently purchased a Dell laptop and it should be here at the first of the month. My question is this...

I have purchased the Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router w/ Speedbooster and have installed it. I was wondering what this USB adapter is for and do I need it. My Dell will have an internal 3945a/b/g wireless card that I think should work with just the router, but I am unsure. I don't really see the benefits of hauling this adapter around with me with the cord and all.

I am just lost as to what it really even is and does. Do I install it on my desktop or laptop?

If I could get some insight into what it is, what it does and if I will benefit from it. Please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Long story short a router will let more than one computer out on the internet.

Dont worry about the USB cable just use the CAt5 CABLE(ethernet) that came with the unit.

plug the ethernet cable from your cable modem into the internet port on the router. connect to the router with your laptop. and off you go.

and no you dont need to bring the router with you.

just set it up at your house.

you will use your laptops internal wireless NIC to connect to other wireless network as well (these networks will have their own router)

yourwelcome

I purchased this router...

Linksys Router

This is the USB adapter that came with the Router.

Linksys

I have the router set up and working just fine. I was just wondering what this additional adapter is and if I need it.

Just clueless to its purpose and application.

The adapter is so that any PCs or Laptops, etc, which don't have Wireless can have Wireless :)

It's obviously designed for PCs ;)

Back
Top Bottom