Limited or no connectivity

here_is_gone

In Runtime
At a fitness club (ACAC) where my dad goes every day, they have no wireless network. I go there with my dad every day (but I'm not a member; I can't work out). Unfortunately, there is no wireless network that I can use my laptop with; they don't trust their employees not to use Wi-Fi while working or something like that. Anyway, if i directly connect my laptop to one of the ethernet slots they have in the wall, it says that I have "limited or no connectivity." I'm not sure if they installed some kind of software on their computers allowing them to get on that network, or if it's because I don't have XP Professional...does anyone know how I could fix it where I could connect it via ethernet? By the way, I plugged the laptop into the same slot where one of their computers has working internet access. I would use their computers, but they are terribly old, all they have is the internet, you can't use Windows at all, so no word processing or anything but a bad internet browser. Thanks a lot for your help.

It's just signal strength. Obviously, the place that you plugged in was a bad spot. Did you try other spots? Is it ethernet or dial up? Just to make sure, you know. I'm betting it's ethernet. Anyways, I wouldn't try and get into anything yet. If I were you, I would talk to the people. I know the IT guys downstairs at my college can and do monitor everything that goes on... I'd be careful.

The only time I seen that is when you get only access the network with not ethernet.

jac006 said:
It's just signal strength. Obviously, the place that you plugged in was a bad spot. Did you try other spots? Is it ethernet or dial up? Just to make sure, you know. I'm betting it's ethernet. Anyways, I wouldn't try and get into anything yet. If I were you, I would talk to the people. I know the IT guys downstairs at my college can and do monitor everything that goes on... I'd be careful.

It was a spot that another one of their computers was working fine with; there are computers for members to use, and I unplugged one from the internet, and plugged my own cable into it, and it didn't work; I know it's not dialup.

Was the spot active at that time. What mean is did you see some one use it that day?

I got that problem to when i take my laptop to a job site and hook up to ethernet i usually have to assign a static ip to my computer in order for it to work. So you may need the IP address of the place itself.

Nevermind..I emailed the IT department guy again, and apparently they don't even give their employees internet access. I guess they really don't trust their employees or something

I think if you found the IP address of the computer that you unplugged then assigned your computer that IP address i don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

It's not the laptop, like I said, the employees don't even have internet access on their network, so even if I connected to their network I wouldn't have internet

Back
Top Bottom