lightening strike

jdl

Beta member
Knocked out the electricity to several homes in the area, of course, I was on the computer when it happened. Knocked out the computer, monitor, dsl modem. I wasn't using a surge-protector at the time, I was told if the strike was close, and it was, the surge-protector wouldn't help?

I had the power supply, in the computer tested, it showed to be good. I was told the problem was probably the motherboard, cost too much to fix.

Could it possibly be something else, causing the problem? I hated that happened, the kids bought me the computer, hardly a year old.

I recently bought a used computer system, 100 bucks, computer, monitor, keypad, mouse. So far it works, thanks

thats a shame :(

Will probably be the motherboard, but if thats fryed, theres a chance the parts connected to it are too. Especially the CPU/RAM.
I'm hoping not, but for it to cause that much damage, it must have been bad.

A surge protector would have helped though. As long as its a premium grade, and supports a high ampage, then yeah, but not a cheaper standard one.

I'm sorry to hear that though :( You'll have to replace the motherboard, and check that it powers up the components, or somehow test the components in another compatable system.

I was reading the rules for posting, I guess I didn't give enough info on the computer that got thundered on. EMACHINE--- AMD Sempron, processor 3100+---optical drive--- dvd/cd-rw combination drive, memory--- 256 MB DDR SDRAM, Hard Drive--- 80 GB, Windows XP Home Edition. Plus a list of pre-installed software too long to mention. I have to admit, most of what I just wrote, I don't know what it means.

I didn't have a surge protector on the other computer, I do on this one. It didn't cost much, about 20 bucks. I did look up some surge protector specs, the specs listed for this one were rated, good or better. Better than nothing, I guess.

Thanks for the reply

Back
Top Bottom