Latency AGP/PCI card question

oray777

Baseband Member
I was running Sisoft Sandra and performing a perfomance tune-up when i came across some errors. Error 1206 said that my AGP and PCI cards Latency was too high. Can someone tell me what is Latency and how to change it? Thanks.

Latecy is like 'drag'. How long the transfer takes. There isn't much you can do about it, unless you enable fast writes or somethimg.

Check to see, if any of your cards are sharing IRQ's. Although they are assigned automatically by the BIOS, you can usually get them to not be shared by placing the cards in PCI slots that are not next to each other. Example, don't put a PCI card next to the AGP port (unless you have no choice), usually they share an IRQ on most motherboards.

Did you say don't put a pci card next to a agp card? I have a pci raid card which is side by side with the AGP card?

Yeah, I try to avoid that if at all possible. Especally with something intense as a controller card.

oray777 said:
Did you say don't put a pci card next to a agp card? I have a pci raid card which is side by side with the AGP card?
It will restrict airflow to the graphics card. That is all.

okay i will look into that. I did move the pci card one slot down from the agp card but i still got the same test results. I asked the tech guy about this problem and he said that there was no merit to it so i guess i'll not worry about it. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom