Last ditch 939 upgrade

Stonyman65

Baseband Member
Hey guys I want to upgrade my current setup before I have to dith the old 939 board and get a AM2 in the next few years.

as of now, I have a Asus AN8 SLI Deluxe, Atalon 3700+, a Geforce 256MB 7600GS and 2 gigs of RAM

what I was thinking of getting was one of the Opteron 175 X2 939s and a new 8800GTS (640MB) - one question, will the Opteron work good for a gaming rig? I know it's a server processor and is more stable and I plan on overclocking (stock is 2.6 and i'm shure I can it it too a little under 3 no problem) Im shure it will be a boost from my current rig but I would like to know if it is a smart idea before I spend the $170 on it at Newegg. I plan on being able to play some new stuuf, can play CoD4 now but it's a little choopy - will this handle CoD4 and Crysis?

Thanks,
Rick

Hmm, personally, I do believe they are not bad as far for gaming, but an actual Athlon 64 X2 would do better.

Don't get the old 320/640 GTS. The new G92 core 8800GTS is out and around the same price. It performs a lot better than the old one.

I believe the Opteron will be fine for gaming. The main difference between the Opterons and the Athlons is the extra cache for the Opterons.

And I agree with worshipme, or at least an 8800GT. Both outperform the G80 GTS's.

PCIe 2.0 is backwards compatible, so you don't need to worry about that. You definitely want the second one, it's a much better card.

Thanks.

Yeah, the newer one has more stream processors, therefore it would run better even though it doesn't have as much memory bit-size.

nah, im fine with my RAM right now. maybe when I get more money but as of now my #1 to-do is upgrade my CPU and video card.

Got the parts!!! its great. can run CoD4 on extra @ 1280x1024 with 2x AA - 90FPS Can also run crysis on Medium with 60-70FPS. It just tears up anything else! love it. runs a little hotter than before (about 50C under load, was about 35C before upgrade) but runs great and super stable.:D :D

Back
Top Bottom