Last Dell laptop which has a serial port?

33techdude

Solid State Member
I currently have a Dell latitude D531 laptop which has a RS232 serial port. i need this for connecting up to some legacy hardware. I was thinking of swapping out this laptop for a newer model and would like to have another Dell as I am on my 3rd one now and never have an issue with them.
What is the last Dell laptop to come with a RS232 port?
I do require it to have a RS232 port though as I have tried USB to serial adapters and they don't work with the software i have.

Replace the old hardware that uses the serial port. Get a new laptop.
Problem solved forever.
Buy an old laptop with serial port and when it dies the problem will remain.
The problem is trying to hold on to hardware that has been phased out.

The problem is trying to hold on to hardware that has been phased out.

You'd be amazed actually at how prevalent RS232 still is in manufacturing and warehousing. I still see more serial scales than I do USB ones for parcel shipments at customer warehouses.

To answer the OP's question - in part I want to say good luck. Finding a new laptop with it built in is gonig to be near impossible. That said, if you can get a business line laptop that supports this (or any newer version of it) it should fit your needs:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...zuXWmIiSFZlBeTl49tnEdhoCSDTw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

My experience with docking stations like that is windows and the connected devices have no clue it's not actually a port on the motherboard, integration is seamless. Just make sure the one you order is compatible with the one for your laptop and actually does include the serial port as lower-end models tend to cut down on those.

This one here should be compatible with your Dell laptop Genuine Dell Docking Dock Station Latitude D531 D630 D820 D830 ATG
Thanks for the link. The D531 already has onboard serial port and this works fine. Its getting on for 10 years old now though so was looking at replacing with something newer. I would consider a newer used laptop with RS232 if I could work out which model was the last Dell to have it on the motherboard.
Replacing the legacy hardware would be costly. Cheaper to keep buying old laptops with it the required interface.

Done a bit of research and the Dell Latitude 5000 range of rugged laptops have RS232 onboard but the prices on these are pretty eye watering. I guess that's because they are rugged which I don't really need. Least I know I have the option

Maybe I missed something, but why not get a usb to rs232 cable? then just get the newest laptop you can afford.

Back
Top Bottom