Laptop users

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
Those of you who use your laptops (notebooks) on a regular basis, does it get really hot underneath the notebook? You know how there's barely any clearance between the laptop and the desk? All that heat gets trapped under there. So now everytime I turn mine on, I have the back end of my laptop propped up with a book or something. Now, the back end is on an angle allowing better heat dissipation on the bottom.

Now does this heat (even though it's on the outside of the laptop) affect internal laptop (inside the laptop) temperature? I'm thinking it might. So propping the back end up is a good idea right? If so, there should be some kind of accessory you can buy to help elevate the laptop. I know there are docks available but that thing is huge. I have a thick sticky pad that I keep in my book bag which I use to prop the backside of my laptop. Plus, your wrist and fingers feel a lot better when typing because the back is elevated more (just like on a regular keyboard). An added benefit besides the cooling.

That's a good idea. But my laptop never gets that hot underneith that i have to prop it up. I can have it on my lap for hours and it never gets hot enough that i'd have to put it down. So there may be a problem if yours is getting really hot. I'd say my gets luke warm at best.

When I lift my laptop up from the desk and feel the table, it is really, really hot. If I leave my fingers there long enough, it may burn. It's that hot. I'm thinking how could a Turion equipped laptop be like that? It works fine and haven't crashed on me yet. So that's a good sign at least.

I'm going to install a temp monitor for the laptop. I know Everest and Speedfan have those, but do you know of any other programs I might try out? I like to try different ones because I have Everest already installed on my desktop PC.

My laptop (in sig) gets extremely hot especially when playing CS:S, or when it is on my lap. I have this cool thing that props it up and lets air flow threw the bottom. It was like 4 bucks or something. (PM or IM me if you want to know where i got it). I used to play this graphically intense game, and after a little the laptop got so hot it would shut off before the processor melted. I've had it for over 3 years and it is still running like new. You shouldn't worry.

Also sometimes the fan sounds like a Fully-Loaded B52 ready for takeoff if I am running it hard.

I have a counterpart of your laptop. I've found out the maximum temperature for the HDD and the Turion, and it always stays well within the limits. My HDD has been up to 50 Celsius before, but its maximum is 55 so I'm not concerned. The Turion never goes up past 60 Celsius or so, which is absolutely fine for the mobile processor. Mine doesn't get that hot even in my lap.

Back
Top Bottom