laptop for programming

naf

Beta member
Hi!

I'm from england, and i'm about to start uni doing computer sciences/programming.

I need a new computer, but i'm going for a laptop because I'm always on the move, and I have lack of space in my house.

I have been confused by the amazing array of laptops on the market, with all these specifications and different makes,

Can someone please help me, by telling me what makes are good, and what type of laptops I should be buying.

Thank you

Hi,

I'm starting CS at St. Andrews in September, where are you headed?

I'm basically getting a souped-up laptop which can play games reasonably well, and it'll suit other things too.

I was really looking at the Acer Travelmate 8104, it's pretty damn good. Either that or something with a similar spec.

Don't get a Pentium 4 based laptop - they just get really hot, make your laptop heavy and are easily outperformed. Get an Intel Centrino Pentium-M, or an AMD Turion (not an AMD64, they'll give you the same problems as the Pentium 4).

AMD is seen as better for hardcore gaming, whereas the Intel is better for ordinary levels of gaming and general all-round performance.

Good luck in your choice, let me know if you need any more help/guidance.

Hi!

Thanks for your reply! I'm going to kings college in london.

I am not one of these people very involved in gaming, hence I was looking for a laptop powerful enough to last 3 or 4 years at least.

I am prepared to pay enough for a very good specification, if its a make known to be reliable and long lasting. The question is, what make is a really good and reliable and long lasting. I was thinking of Dell latitude 610, but its quite expensive! I probably can only spare 600-700 quids.

Intel Centrino Pentium-M - thanks for that information! I did not really know that much - i have been out of the country for the last 2 years, and really lost touch with technology - it has been unbeliveable to see how much computers has changed! I'll have to get all the technology information up to date! Slowly making progress!

Thanks a lot, and god luck in your course!

Back
Top Bottom