Laptop partitioning problem

loom91

Beta member
Hi,

I recently bought a HP laptop with Intel Core Duo 1.73 GHz processor, 1GB DDR2 RAM, 100GB HDD and nVidia GO 7400 video card. It came preinstalled with Windows XP Home. But there was a problem. After keeping 10GB for a partition called HP_RECOVERY and 1GB more in a unnamed and hidden partition, the rest is all dumped into a single NTFS partition C.

When I tried to re-size the C partition to a smaller size using PartitionMagic (only 13 GB were in use so there was plenty of free space) the computer rebooted, windows loaded, PM started partitioning and then midway through Checking user entries came up with an error message and aborted. This repeated several times. What can I do to split the drive space into smaller partitions? Thanks a lot.

Molu

What error message did it give loom91? From there, I can help. If it can't get solved, your only other option, I'm afraid to say, would be to FDISK and redo everything. Although, with all the preload software on the computer, that wouldn't be a bad idea, if 13 GB is in use.

jervin32189 said:
What error message did it give loom91? From there, I can help. If it can't get solved, your only other option, I'm afraid to say, would be to FDISK and redo everything. Although, with all the preload software on the computer, that wouldn't be a bad idea, if 13 GB is in use.
well my friend did that with his compaq and it screwed things ^ so u might just wanna format the c drive using windows setup or something

I managed to solve the problem myself. Just ran chkdsk, it found a couple of errors in the index (on a brand-new hard drive!) corrected them and then partitioning went fine. Thanks anyway!

Molu

Back
Top Bottom