Laptop LCD issue?

crazyman143

Fully Optimized
Hi Everyone, have an issue I'm hoping to get some advice on.

I have an HP laptop with a screen that goes solid white. It's a hardware issue, because it's white even before the BIOS screen displays.

I notice that the screen would turn on after being left alone for a bit. Then a while later, would go white again, back and forth etc. Connected an external monitor and get picture consistently, all the while the internal display still comes and goes.

Tried shaking/wiggling the display to see if it's a loose cable, but that had no effect. Long story short I ordered and replaced the ribbon cable anyway to rule that out. the issue remains as suspected. What do you think? motherboard or LCD? Anything I'm forgetting to try? thanks!

Last edited:
If an external monitor works fine, then it's not the motherboard (most likely).

Instead it sounds like a display issue. As pointed out, it could be a loose connector on the display or it could just be a dying display.

I've seen this happen when the inverter in the display dies. It's usually a $20-50 part but opening the LCD panel to replace it can suck.

Yeah, I'm thinking it's definitely the display itself. The white issue hasn't shown up for a couple days, but I've noticed some very faint discoloration and blotchy-ness in the display that I hadn't seen before. I'm sure I wouldn't have if I wasn't looking for something to be wrong.

Suffice it to say the LCd's days are numbered. thanks for the input folks.

Back
Top Bottom