Laptop Keyboard Problem (V.Hard)

JJCG

In Runtime
Hey guys sorry its been a while but have been really busy atm but I have a reallly annoying problem, I have recently been given a laptop to wipe and reinstall windows on but after wiping the HDD and loading up windows xp setup I notcied the keyboard does not work so a few more attempts (and burning an another windows xp setup dixk) the keyboard still does not work. Very confused at this point as they keyboard also does not respond in the bios, I have also tried using a usb keyboard to no avail.

Has anyone got any suggestions on how I could get the keyboard working or get windows xp installed onto it.

Its an Advent 7082 (331-Series).

Other notes: The keyboard works once in a bluemoon but only for like 5secs, it also seems other people are having the same problem with this laptop.

Thanks

What has the manufacturer said about this defect?

Nothing, what makes it hard is that Advent isnt a real company its basicaly a rebranded asian computers distributed by Currys, dixons and PC world (there all owned by the same company and they are the biggest computer sellers in the UK).

People have talked about updating the BIOS but thats not possible for me if the keyboard does not work.

Really stuck with this one guys, any thoughts??

You can attempt to open it back up and see if all the connections are secure. Other than that, I'm not sure what else you could do. If this is a widespread problem, it's obviously a defect with the manufacturer. You could try to pester their customer service and see if they'll offer to fix it.

Stupid point - you say it's not working IN the BIOS, does that mean you can use the keyboard to get into it but it doesn't respond to anything you type afterwards? If so that's very strange. The BIOS shouldn't need updating if it used to work, but if it works fine to get into the BIOS that doesn't seem to point towards a hardware defect.

Is it set to boot from the CD first? If so then can you load up knoppix (or similar) and does the keyboard work there? Long shot, but it seems to have got to the point of clutching at straws here.

Another long shot, but if you can reset the CMOS battery (find it, remove it then wait a few seconds before putting it back in again) that might help. By might I mean it's very unlikely but perhaps worth a try :)

Stupid point - you say it's not working IN the BIOS, does that mean you can use the keyboard to get into it but it doesn't respond to anything you type afterwards? If so that's very strange. The BIOS shouldn't need updating if it used to work, but if it works fine to get into the BIOS that doesn't seem to point towards a hardware defect.

Is it set to boot from the CD first? If so then can you load up knoppix (or similar) and does the keyboard work there? Long shot, but it seems to have got to the point of clutching at straws here.

Another long shot, but if you can reset the CMOS battery (find it, remove it then wait a few seconds before putting it back in again) that might help. By might I mean it's very unlikely but perhaps worth a try :)

Keyboard does not work full stop and I can make it boot from the disk if I take out the harddrive, but thanks for comments guys going to open it up make sure the connections are secure and try reset the cmos (if I can find it) aswell.

thanks.

Does a USB keyboard work if you boot into knoppix? If not, do any USB devices work or is it just keyboards that don't?

Back
Top Bottom