Laptop Graphics Card

vaio-fx

Daemon Poster
I am looking into buying a new laptop. However, the problem is finding a decent graphics card for it (I have had problems in the past when being unable to upgrade rubbish graphics, so this time I want to get it right). It doesn't need to be really high end as I use my Desktop for propper gaming but its needs to be able to play most modern games on reasonable settings. I have found a good laptop and it has this card:

ATi Mobility Radeon HD X2400 128MB

I don't know how good this is. It's got its own memory so thats a start. Does anyone know if its good or not? Thanks for any help.

i think that chip is pretty good im sure someone like dude will either approve or disprove my theory as he knows alot more about stuff like that
whatever you do don't get any laptop that mentions graphics with turbo cache cos it's shared with the main system memory so it's basically poor for games etc.

dont think that card is very good. it certainly wont play the newest games .. well not decently anyway.
theres newer ATI HD cards out.
what country are you from?

well my 8600GT (see sig) is a pretty good card (unless you want to head into the £1000+ price range)
whats your budget? and are you willing to buy online?
ill help you out

Yeah, my friend has an 8600 in his inspiron, but Dell don't seem to do the 8600 anymore unless you get an XPS. I'm not sure on a price yet as i'm just doing some research, though I'd guess around the £400 mark. Thanks.

i just bought a dell 2 weeks ago and its got the 8600 in lol.
the xps does not the inspiron.

hmm, for £400 you wont get a great gaming laptop, but after my lunch ill have a look around :)
edit: £500+ will start to get some some decent gaming laptops.
how about this one? only bad points is its meant to be very ugly, although ive seen one in pc world and i like it :confused:

yea i think they look ok. cnet and other review places think otherwise :confused:

i would suggest dell but for £400 you wont get a good gpu. the xps's start at £539 or something.
think some of the higher up inspirons may still come with 8400gs though

Thanks for the help. It seems I may have to raise the budget a bit. Like I said though, this is only research at the moment so its good to see all the different types in different price ranges.

EDIT: I've just thought of a good comparison. How would that Radeon (HD X2400), compare to my old PC - thats the sort of performance I'm looking for, that PC was:

nVidia GeForce 7300GT
Intel Pentium 4 HT 3.0GHz

The new laptop has a Core 2 Duo @ 1.66GHz.

Back
Top Bottom