Laptop GPU fried?

Deathbank

In Runtime
Hey guys,

As of the last two years, I've been gaming off of my sony vaio laptop VGN-SZ430N. About a week or two ago, I noticed a significant drop in my framerate and didn't really think anything about it. Then earlier last week, I went in to change my resolution and noticed that my display settings were coming from intel mobile chip 945gm express chipset family. This laptop runs EXTREMELY hot..Sometimes when i put my hand right under the bottom it burns a bit. I dont have the battery attached and its just running off of the power cord. Is there any software check i can run to see if my video card is fried or do I have to open my laptop up and see? Also, its a 7400geforce go. How much will it be to get it replaced? Thanks! My desktop should come in this friday or a week from tomorrow so I won't be too long about de-virginizing myself of crysis.

Unfortunately, if it is broken, laptop GPU's cannot be replaced at GPU's on laptops are integrated into the PCB. Do a drivers update from Nvidia.com. It's worth a try. Also, run GPU-Z (google GPU-Z if you don't have it)

Well, if your video card were fried, you would be getting lot's of artifacts, lines, odd colors, etc. all throughout your screen. Make sure the air vents are clear of dust. I do know they make cooler pads for lappies to help keep them nice and cool under hard use. You might need to check to make sure that the video preferences didn't get changed from the 7400GO to the Intel.

I have an older generation Sony Vaio that ran pretty hot. Just get a can of air and give it a good spray. If that doesn't help, you should invest in a cooling pad.

Not sure what to do with your video card though.

Thanks for all of the quick advice! I really do appreciate it and as soon as his HD left 4 dead video gameplay video is over, Ill start on the repairs.

Oh, I already know this laptop sucks. It had statistically good parts in it, but the overall workmanship really stunk the computer up. At any given time i have about 80 processes running and the bulk 60 of them are taken from the SYSTEM and not the user. I was a moron for paying about 1800$ for this. I could have bought something about 600$ cheaper that was twice as good. I was 17 at the time and I had no idea though. Now I know better which is why I spent so much time trying to construct that desktop in all my other posts. I didn't want to make the same mistake as I did with buying this laptop.

Well, if your video card were fried, you would be getting lot's of artifacts, lines, odd colors, etc. all throughout your screen. Make sure the air vents are clear of dust. I do know they make cooler pads for lappies to help keep them nice and cool under hard use. You might need to check to make sure that the video preferences didn't get changed from the 7400GO to the Intel.

Where would I go to change the video preferences? Just for general info, I looked in my device manager and didn't find my graphics card listed but the intel one was.

Back
Top Bottom