Laptop

shaundc

Baseband Member
A friend of mine told me that you shouldn't use a laptop while its plugged because its hard on the battery so my question is: is it ok to use a laptop while its plugged in or should it always be use running from the battery?

thanks

While it's charging your not susposed to, especially the first couple of times. If the battery is full it's ok.

i always use my laptop plugged in, never had any problems with it here....... keeps the battery from running down if its kept plugged in, means that i can use it for longer in lessons where i cant plug it in/..., hasnt done any damage to this laptop, still lasts about 5 hours on battery word processing/web or about 3 hours playing halo on battery...

It should be okay though. When its plugged in it'll be recharging yeah. When it has finished charging the battery, I'd guess it would switch off the batteries source to the power... not sure on that, but it should.

The only reason it would shorten battery life is if your continually charging and discharging it when it hasn't fully gone down. Lithium Ion corrects this though, and I think it takes out the memory some batteries have so that it doesn't bother it as much as older style batteries do.
Of course, charging it will always decrease the life of the battery a bit but this is normal. A good battery can last about 3-5 years of charging use. You can then just replace the battery. If you are worried about that though, while it is plugged in, you can take out the battery, though if you have been using it outside or whatever, of course it wouldn't charge it. This would atleast stop charging when you don't think it needs it since it hasn't dropped down enough :)

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom