Keep the External HDD on?

G9

Daemon Poster
Should I keep my external hdd on even though I'm not using it? I do weekly backups...

...I was wondering because I once heard that disuse was just as bad as misuse. In other words, if you didn't use the hdd, it would have to reload or something... :p

Naw, it won't go bad if you don't use it....lol
I would just turn it off when you aren't using it.

Alright, thanks for the advice man... I'll keep it unplugged from the computer when I turn it off, as it has a sensor that automatically keeps it on with the computer.

dude i keep my External hd on all the time! it gets a little warm but nothing to critical and its fine :)

It won't hurt it to keep it on, but if you want to save power and take some load off your computer, unhook it or power it down. It is up to you what you want to do.

So it doesn't really matter either way? I'm just so paranoid because of the way my Maxtor externals died on me... hopefull this Western Digital myBook will last longer!

I usually keep my external HDD on when my computer is on and turn it off when the computer is off. Sometimes I forget and it will stay on for like 3 or 4 days but it still works fine. I say just do what you want but I say just turn it off when you aren't using the computer.

Back
Top Bottom