Kazaa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kazaa and Lime wire, and emule all use te GNUTella network. so they all have the same software on them.

The music business is one of the largest, simply because they rip us off so much. I wonder how much it costs for them to buy CD-R's at manufacturer bulk price and print a crappy logo on them, £1 per CD absolute max, thats alot of profit per CD.

I used to use Limewire but I think kazzalite is a lot better, I think that CDs do actually cost to much.
(does anyone here read PCForma Magazine? they did a feature on this a couple of months ago).

Turns out even with the advent of P2P CD sales are on the rise, and the only erason the music industry can record a notable drop in sales is because they (big companies) comletly withdrew tape media. without tape sales (which sold really well because they were the cheapest).
CD sales are on the up.
Another good argument for D sales is that the artists basically make fuck all from D sales anyway, touring is by far the biggest earner (something like 10x the revenue at least). People discover new music by P2P so P2P sharing actually helps the industry by introducing new people to music, then they buy the CD's that they wouldn't have. and P2P introduces people to artists that they may then go and see. -Thus the industry makes more money.

P2P is good for the indusrty, (and if I dig out an old copy of PCFormat I can post figuers to proove it).

By far the bigest ally P2P networks have is tghe price of CDs, if CDs were cheaper then more people would buy them.

Definately agree, I mean, lets say they sold albums at what.. £3/$5 - I don't think Kazaa would have ever been created lol. Root, I agree touring is big earnings but when you think about...

half a million copies sold -> 5 million in the air -> some goes to manager etc. but alot goes to the music artist.

Thats alotta dough!!

the actual artist gets a pittance, (when compared to the agents publishers distributers and recording companies).
Something I was once told is every artist regardless of their fameonly gets 2p from each time a song is played on the radio, the only reason some artists make more than others is because their song is played more.

I thought the radio station simply pays a certain amount of money per year and they are allowed to broadcast music, I'm guessing some of this money gets to the artists. 2p per song? Well have you ever seen a program on sky called "MTV Cribs" ? Even music artists I've hardly heard of, have rooms "just for show" with custom made furnature, pool tables, swimming pools wherever, HUGEEE T.V's, the list goes on. Just search for any music artist and you will see how much they earn.

The radio station do pay a certina amount per year, they pay that to a publishing company who then pay the artists. they artists are payed on the basis of the popularity of their songs. -I.e those that a re played more get the artist more money.
You may thik 2p doesn' sound a lot but switch on a local radio station, see how many times in one day they will play a small select list of songs. now think how many local radios there are in the country. then include national stations.
Once you've finished trying to comprehend just how many times the current number 1 is played in just one day on radio, switch on the TV and have a quick flick through the 30 odd music channels (25 of which all seem to play the same thing) and add that to the previous number of plays in a day.
now think about how many times in a day just one song is played now tht you've counted it all up. The current number one is given a huge amount of air time in just one day, now think about how much time it gets in it's one or two weeks of fame.

The music industry is big business, simply because of the amount of people who listen to music.

It costs a lot more than £15 to produce a CD, but it's the sheer volume production that allows shops to sell them for that.

(And yes I have seem cribs houses that feature are impressive, but attainable.
If you take my boss (he owns a software company) 6 years ago he was driving around in a beat up fiesta, Now he has a proper home cinema, razzez around in a porsche, lives in the middle of the countryside...
Posessions are easy to get. and they look impressive once you've got them.
the thing that makes music 'stars' so unusual is the speed at which they become famous and get all their money.

I agree with most you say mate but the more than £15 statement is no where near true. Most of the production will be done by machines - thus not much labour cost. a pack of 50 blank CD-R's cost me £13, imagine how much it costs them to buy 1000000 ? Not much compared to what they sell them at. Whats involved in making a CD.. Well I believe it's a similar method to ours but ALOT quicker, how expensive could it be, £3 at the most, in my opinion. I may research this if I have the time, its an interesting topic :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom