Just ordered my new parts.

One of the best comments in a Newegg review I've ever seen... (in the first review for the Phenom 940 linked in the first post)
Everyone keeps trying to compare these AM2+ chip benchmark's to the i7's. That is not fair at all, you have to remember that these first batches of PII's are running on dual channel DDR2 memory, whereas most benchmarks have the i7's running on triple channel DDR3 memory. Even being behind them, these chips still produce very respectable numbers, especially when OC'd. This is AMD getting back on track.
Anyways, great build. Unlike somebody here, I am a huge AMD and Asus fan. My Athlon 6000+ and Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe still run strong. Have fun with it.

One of the best comments in a Newegg review I've ever seen... (in the first review for the Phenom 940 linked in the first post)

Anyways, great build. Unlike somebody here, I am a huge AMD and Asus fan. My Athlon 6000+ and Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe still run strong. Have fun with it.

I gotta agree with you that that is one of the best newegg reviews I've ever read...period.

And thanks. Yours was top of the line a couple of years ago too. I'm still jealous that you have a 650 Watt silverstone and the 8800GTS. Not too much behind my system though.

I gotta agree with you that that is one of the best newegg reviews I've ever read...period.

And thanks. Yours was top of the line a couple of years ago too. I'm still jealous that you have a 650 Watt silverstone and the 8800GTS. Not too much behind my system though.

Haha yeah, I went all-out when I got all this stuff, spent about $1k on the upgrades total. I was lurking Newegg today and realized that if my outdated system can max out any Valve game, there is no point in spending $700 upgrading. The 8800's were (and still are) powerful cards, and are still high-end cards in my books. It's kind of like wine, you can get a decent bottle for $10-15, good bottle for $15-25, or a great bottle for $500. Why buy the insane stuff when the difference between it and something slightly less fancy is so small?

My philosophy is that if your computer does what you need it to do as well as you want it to, there's no need to upgrade. Just because it doesn't get amazing scores in benchmarks, doesn't mean it's not good.

And I love my PSU. Sure it's loud as all hell, but it's a powerhouse, and stable as can be. They don't call it Zeus for nothing! ;)

Haha yeah, I went all-out when I got all this stuff, spent about $1k on the upgrades total. I was lurking Newegg today and realized that if my outdated system can max out any Valve game, there is no point in spending $700 upgrading. The 8800's were (and still are) powerful cards, and are still high-end cards in my books. It's kind of like wine, you can get a decent bottle for $10-15, good bottle for $15-25, or a great bottle for $500. Why buy the insane stuff when the difference between it and something slightly less fancy is so small?

My philosophy is that if your computer does what you need it to do as well as you want it to, there's no need to upgrade. Just because it doesn't get amazing scores in benchmarks, doesn't mean it's not good.

And I love my PSU. Sure it's loud as all hell, but it's a powerhouse, and stable as can be. They don't call it Zeus for nothing! ;)

My philosophy is the same as yours. I am upgrading my system because it won't play my favorite game. That, and my previous motherboard died. Lol.

Hey uh just so you know 63083, the phenom II 940 now come with copper heatsinks. And alot of people on different forums are saying that they can hit 3.5ghz stable @ just 62C with the new copper hsf's

Hey uh just so you know 63083, the phenom II 940 now come with copper heatsinks. And alot of people on different forums are saying that they can hit 3.5ghz stable @ just 62C with the new copper hsf's
Yeah, I heard about that too. I like how AMD is improving their heatsinks, the stock heatsink that came with my CPU has copper heatpipes. I was shocked when I first opened it.
e1d1_1.JPG

FAN-AM2.jpg

Sorry, I'm making this thread way off topic.

Yeah, I heard about that too. I like how AMD is improving their heatsinks, the stock heatsink that came with my CPU has copper heatpipes. I was shocked when I first opened it.
e1d1_1.JPG

FAN-AM2.jpg

Sorry, I'm making this thread way off topic.

No worries, it's all gonna help me when my new computer comes in. Keep talking.

Haha alright. Well I just checked my CPU temps and I'm idling at 42C, I think it's time to buy some new thermal paste, I don't remember the last time reapplied it.

@ just 62*c that is a BIG no no. The Phenom II quads max temp is 62*c Im not totally positive about the 940 but i know my 955 is 62* max.

I was idling at 44*c with my 955 and the new AMD heatsink and load temps were in the mid to high 50's so I don't see how they are hitting 3.5ghz on stock HSF. I don't like mine getting anywhere near the Max temp for any period of time.

wow your right the phenom II maxes at around 62C. Ha i wouldnt try 3.5ghz then at stock then

Back
Top Bottom