Just built desktop, can't connect TV as monitor

C E Jones

Baseband Member
I just put together the parts for a desktop and when I power it on everything seems to be working (power LED on, fans spinning, etc.) but my plasma TV (LG 42PQ30) says "no signal" when I set it to the HDMI input--so I'm not able to install Windows and get started. I have the PC connected to the computer via HDMI...should this work or do I need to use VGA?? :confused: I don't have another monitor so I'm hoping I'll be able to use the TV to get the computer running.

I have no idea what to do at this point, so any tips would be appreciated.

some won't work at all, and others will need a software update.(mine did)check for software updates, then try it.

A software update for the TV? Or firmware? How can I update the computer if I can't even get started?

Is the TV on when you boot the computer?

Yes! It's not completely blank, it says "no signal." One other thing, don't know if it's relevant. When I power up the computer everything seems sounds good--optical drive blinking, HDD sounds active--but after a minute or two it automatically resets. It shuts down then starts up again without me doing anything. This keeps going on until I switch off the power supply.

Because I'm very new to building desktops I don't have any spare parts to try substituting. No secondary monitor besides the TV either (the only other monitor I have is on my laptop).

Yes! It's not completely blank, it says "no signal." One other thing, don't know if it's relevant. When I power up the computer everything seems sounds good--optical drive blinking, HDD sounds active--but after a minute or two it automatically resets. It shuts down then starts up again without me doing anything. This keeps going on until I switch off the power supply.

Because I'm very new to building desktops I don't have any spare parts to try substituting. No secondary monitor besides the TV either (the only other monitor I have is on my laptop).

That sounds like a problem with the mobo. Is there a short with the case? You put the little risers on, right? What is your gfx card and mobo? do you have a friend who would let you try it on their monitor?

A software update for the TV? Or firmware? How can I update the computer if I can't even get started?

Yeah. software, firmware. whatever. I had to on mine. put it on a USB drive, plug it in, and select usb as the source.

That sounds like a problem with the mobo. Is there a short with the case? You put the little risers on, right? What is your gfx card and mobo? do you have a friend who would let you try it on their monitor?

Yeah. software, firmware. whatever. I had to on mine. put it on a USB drive, plug it in, and select usb as the source.

I did put the risers on, but they're metal. I read in a troubleshooting guide I cam across that these are often plastic, and that if they're metal they should come with cardboard insulators (mine didn't). The case is a Silverstone LC17. The GPU is a Sapphire Radeon 4670 and the mobo is a Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L.

And how do you propose he does that with no video output?

Anyhow, is the HDMI port native or is it DVI -> HDMI adapter? I know that my DVI -> HDMI adapter has ALWAYS worked when plugged solely into my plasma. The only thing I don't see is the MB manufacturer splash screen...but I catch everything after that. I can't speak for a native HDMI port though...don't have one. Your best bet is to borrow a monitor if you can't get it working...however, the restarting situation has me bewildered as well..

did you go to options on the tv and change it to accept the hdmi plugin? and also when i use my computer on tv's i have to change resolution and all this crap before it works well. Sometimes it won't show up and i have to use another monitor to set it up before plugging it into a tv.

did you go to options on the tv and change it to accept the hdmi plugin? and also when i use my computer on tv's i have to change resolution and all this crap before it works well. Sometimes it won't show up and i have to use another monitor to set it up before plugging it into a tv.

I figured out what the problem with the blank monitor was...a bad stick of RAM. I had 2x2GB sticks set up in dual channel, tried popping each out one at a time, and on the second one the monitor came on. Now Windows 7 RC is loading from the DVD but I don't see any icons on the screen! There's just a cursor and nothing to select. No keystrokes do anything. Plus for some reason it boots from the DVD instead of asking me if I want to install the OS on my HDD??

Back
Top Bottom