Just bought a reference HD7970, did I make a mistake?

ColdCheese

Beta member
Right now all the talk is about Physx and Borderlands 2, but was worried 2gb vram was not future proof enough since my plan was to add another card down the road when this began to struggle with the newer games, plus I love to mod and will be downloading some 2k textures soon as I can for it. Another thing concerning the vram is right now its not a problem with my 1200p, but have been eyeing some higher res monitors and SLI 2 680's with a measly 2gb vram next year when next gen consoles push the game envelope, feared it wouldnt be enough memory and as a result would depreciate too much for what theyre selling now. The 7970's are less of a gamble, since I paid $380 after rebate for mine and they overclock like beasts with the ghz bios update I heard.

Last edited:
Ya know what,....you could always kick yourself when ever you buy a graphics card. They are all obsolete 6 months after purchase anyway. And, most of us think 10 times before investing in a card, and then we're always left with that nagging feeling that another choice might have been better.

No, I don't think you made a mistake, enjoy your card for as long as the current gaming software will allow.

I personally go with Nvidia cards, because occassionally I'll play a game like Metro 2033, or Mafia II, or run a benchmark, that utilizes PhysX, and I like having it. However, it isn't critical by any means.

I used AMD cards for years, but always seemed to have some issue with their driver sets, which is another reason I went to Nvidia.

Again these are just personal choices. The 7970 is a good card that should serve you well. My vid cards only have 1.5GB of Vram, but I run only a single 27" monitor, at 1920x1080, so there are no issues at all.

No, I don't think you made a mistake, enjoy your card for as long as the current gaming software will allow.

I used AMD cards for years, but always seemed to have some issue with their driver sets, which is another reason I went to Nvidia.

I don't mind AMD GPU's in Windows 7, however in Windows XP or Vista I seem to have a lot if trouble with the drivers and DirectX 10.

Back
Top Bottom