I've decided to get a new surround sound system.

Captain Pooka

Daemon Poster
Alright, so this is a cheap surround sound system I have from walmart. Girlfriend bought it for me, and didn't feel like spending much on it ;)

Well, the cabes fell off the back two speakers.. don't ask me how they just weren't there. It's not the kind that's RCA or 3.5mm, it's the kind with the two striped wires you have to stick in the holes.

My motherboard has a surround sound thingy on it, don't know who would use it when you can just get a system and plug it in somewhere else, but someone may enlighten me! .. please ;)

Also, this system has a buzzing sound at random times... it makes me mad. If I move the 3.5mm cable (The speakers plug into the sub, and the sub goes to the computer though a headphone jack) it helps...

I fixed the problem of not being able to hear though all of them... I just want a new better system :p Looking to spend about 100$, maybe 150$. Don't care if it's 5.1 or 7.1, if the price makes a difference then so be it.

Thanks!

-Q

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010370060 1090608151&name=5.1

Was looking at those, but I know there are more people that use surround sound and know what to get ;) I don't care if it's off newegg or not.

ALSO, this is important: My desk is long, but I love to have my monitor pushed all the way back, or most of the way. the sub I have now is HUGE... maybe a foot long. Even if I turn in sideways it's huge. And it's not good enough to put on the floor. But what helps is my desk is right infront of an about 4" window seel, so I have some room to work with!

Again, thanks,

-Q ;)

But what helps is my desk is right infront of an about 4" window seel, so I have some room to work with!
You have a picture of that area? If you don't pad the area accordingly, your subwoofer will resonate on that steel surface.
the sub I have now is HUGE... maybe a foot long.
You should get into audio. If you think that's big, you're in for a big surprise.

Surround sound isn't all that great unless you set it up right. I was debating between a Logitech 2.1 200w setup or a 5.1 70w setup. I decided to stick with my current 2.1 and save myself around $100+. Unless you have the speakers completely surrounding you, stick to a more powerful 2.1 system.

I've never really fallen for that surround sound system everyone keeps craving about. Sure, it's nice when it's properly setup, but I don't think all that work is necessary just so you can hear background noise.

It could just be me.

Getting a Logitech Z2300 would be better. Its a 2.1 but all the good 5.1's are now really that cheap. The Z2300 is about $120

I'll get a few pictures of my set up. Like I said, my room has all of our computers in it and two beds and LOTS of dressers. I have it set up where I'm confined to a little box, so surround sound would be fairly easy to set up.

It's a galss desk too... one of those corner kinds...
I'll get some pictures. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to set it up right.
With the big monitor it makes my computer ideal for movies ;) And I do just that... surround sound would be awesome! I'll probably just get the cheap one...

Thanks!
-Q - someone reply so when I post the pictures probably tomorrow it will get bumped ;)

Oh yeah, if I was to go towards a 2.1 set up... ? ;) I guess I'll take a look at this. They come with a woofer, but I don't know what the difference is between wireless or wired. Is the quality that different?

I don't trust anything thats wireless to be honest. Too many damn batteries to replace/signal issues.

Also, I must mention that sound is more than half of the experience of watching a film/gaming, etc. If you decide to go the cheap route, you'll most likely be missing a lot.

I wouldn't spend a lot on a TV for example, only to have the sound tinny :p

2.1 is usually find though for computer use. I have a 5.1 setup, but its not positioned the way I would have liked, and the sub is directly below my desk, which means the sound from it doesn't get to me that well.
But, if I move to my door, which is a few metres away from it, the bass is boomy, and travels down stairs to all the rooms, yet I'm not getting hardly any of the effect, to turn the bass down.

The best position for a sub is probably quite a bit away from you. Definetly not underneath you, or right near you.

I've never really fallen for that surround sound system everyone keeps craving about. Sure, it's nice when it's properly setup, but I don't think all that work is necessary just so you can hear background noise.

It could just be me.

Surround sound works best for music depending a great deal on the type like New Age with a lot of electronic or acoustic background effects or a good number of different instruments seen in a good sized group, band, or even orchestra. But "separation" is the key word when setting the speakers up.

For the typical gaming 2 1/2 or stereo head phones(late at night) are what? Basically you are back to 2 channel even with 5.1 headphones depending where you plug them in. With a 5.1 speaker set here tucked in close and switching back and forth from 5.1 to stereo it makes a difference for music while gaming is seen with a cordless set of headphones.

Bass works best when set low close to the floor not elevated due to being in the lower frequency ranges there. Elevating the woofer is like turning the bass most of the way while cranking up the tremble in that sense.

Back
Top Bottom