internet wont work?

mrcool011

Solid State Member
i hooked up my computer today, and in the back i plug in the internet wire thingy(btw i have dsl) and usualy it lights up where i plug it in, but it didnt, and wouldnt connect to the internet. so i tried hooking it up with my brother computer and when i plugged it in the light in the back lit up and it worked fine. is it a virus or hardware problem? lol thanks for teh help.

Hum,,, your ISP (internet service provider) usually gives an IP address and if the modem was not "purged' it kept the IP address it last gave out. So if your brother connected his PC (and you don't have a router) then when he connected, his computer was assigned an IP address, which is certainly not the one your PC had.
1- Unplug the modem, network cable and power supply for ~ 1 minute, then power it back ON at plug your PC. If you still do not get connection then either your ISP uses MAC address for identification and doesn't recognize your's anymore; that or your network card is burnt and you modem cannot communicate with your PC. You can try pinging your network card, but I can't remember the adress you have to use.

Maybe your network card isn't working. If I understand what your saying, it sounds like the lights your talking about are on your NIC card.

ya i bet your right, but my brother wont fix it or even look at it. he said he's tired of fixing it so i guess im gonna have to use his computer for a while.

Back
Top Bottom