Internet!@*&$#!

Ð88

Fully Optimized
Ok, I asked this question once before but I never got a good answer so Im gonna ask one more time. I am renting a place. The internet(cable internet) is shared with 5 computers including mine but it is all run through a router. Now the router isnt wireless, the guy set it up so actual cables are wired from the router to wall telephone type looking plug-ins where a phone line cable is used to connect from that to the computer. Now I also have a hookup for cable television in my room as well. I want to be independent from the router because it just plain sucks(i have several reasons). Would it work to buy a cable modem and hook it up to the cable outlet and run cable internet through that instead?

Depends how your internet is wired. the odd time you have a seperate line that only caries internet on it and another one for cable(TV). you should be able to run it through your own cable modem. I don't see how taking your computer off the router is going to help your cable problem though.

I think the problem is that, with this router, it run under a single IP address for all 5 computers. I figure this because it runs extremely slow and unstable when all 5 computers are using the internet at the same time(even with more than one computer) and from what I can theorize, the router is weak at being able to direct signals such as knowing which computer to send received information to. I know there are routers that will assign each connected computer its own IP address to solve this problem but I assume they cost more and my landlord would not be willing to buy another router or would my roommates.

But seriously there are some major problems that need fixing. I am currently getting dial-up speeds with cable internet and what's worse is that it disconnects and won't come back online until the router is reset. If anyone has an idea how to fix this I am more than open to suggestions.

i say, all pitch in and buy a nice router, cause if it's really as bad as you say it is, then they'll want it too

one question

are you using DHCP on your router? is yes try changing that and then manually assign IP addresses to all the computers yourself.

you will only get one IP address with any router, you will be behind a NAT which assigns you IP addresses in the LAN zone, all five PCs will still appear with the same IP on the internet no matter what router or whether you use DHCP or not.

hope you understand what i just said there and hope this helps

u should tell all the people thats using the router to put their money together (including u), and buy a better router.

abowlofrice said:
u should tell all the people thats using the router to put their money together (including u), and buy a better router.

sk8ngame said:
i say, all pitch in and buy a nice router, cause if it's really as bad as you say it is, then they'll want it too

I see you posting alot more than you need too..

GreenOrion said:
one question

are you using DHCP on your router? is yes try changing that and then manually assign IP addresses to all the computers yourself.

you will only get one IP address with any router, you will be behind a NAT which assigns you IP addresses in the LAN zone, all five PCs will still appear with the same IP on the internet no matter what router or whether you use DHCP or not.

hope you understand what i just said there and hope this helps

Yes it is currently using DHCP. Do you think that is the problem?

Back
Top Bottom