Internal network card no longer works

phillipbritain

Beta member
Hi,
My computer (ASUS CM5675 desktop) was acting perfectly until I decided to install Ubuntu. After installation I noticed that when I booted to Windows 7 that the "disconected network cable" icon popped up. I checked the Device Manager to see if the card is enabled (which it is) and to see if Windows thinks its functioning properly (which it does). I tried using different cables, plugging directly into the modem, disabeling and reenabeling the card, unistalling the driver then reinstalling, and even completly reformatiing the entire harddrive to start fresh but still have the same problem. Also, to further prove that something is wrong, the network status light on my switch will blink for which ever port I plug the desktop into, whereas everything else (modem, laptop, xbox 360) gives a solid status light (indicating everything is ok).

Is there anything I can do, or is stock internal network card (Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller) toast?

Just installing Ubuntu in what sounds like a dual boot situation would not fry a card, particularly when it sounds like it works in Ubuntu.

My guess is that your DHCP server on your router/cable modem can't handle the two computer names with the same network MAC address and can't give you an IP. Take a look and see if there is a firmware update for your modem/router

i am not saying it the installation would fry it, im just saying something could have caused it to be fried. Not the dual boot/installation

Just installing Ubuntu in what sounds like a dual boot situation would not fry a card, particularly when it sounds like it works in Ubuntu.

My guess is that your DHCP server on your router/cable modem can't handle the two computer names with the same network MAC address and can't give you an IP. Take a look and see if there is a firmware update for your modem/router

he says his status is ( "disconected network cable" ) that has nothing to do with having an IP address, even if you plugged your computer into a blank hub or switch it would link and show connected.

he says his status is ( "disconected network cable" ) that has nothing to do with having an IP address

Not always true. I've had my laptop plugged in hard-wire a few times lights are on on the port and switch but windows shows no connection. Run ipconfig /refresh and suddenly it's plugged in.

I too faced a similar fate and had to buy a new one . You too would have to do the same , i consulted computer engineer and thats what he told me to do

Back
Top Bottom