Intel Xeon..?

Half Evil

Golden Master
What do you all think about these processors? I mean there great for servers. But, no one ever speaks of them here. So does that mean that there like horrible for gaming or anything of the sort? Just comparing these to say.. An athlon maybe.. how would it do? What are your guys view on these?

ArrizX_MuziK said:
What do you all think about these processors? I mean there great for servers. But, no one ever speaks of them here. So does that mean that there like horrible for gaming or anything of the sort? Just comparing these to say.. An athlon maybe.. how would it do? What are your guys view on these?

Well they are mostly just server processors. I know you probobly made this thread because it was mentioned two times in different threads in the help forum recently. Xeons are great server processors, extremely fast. I always with someone would builg an Xeon gaming computer and test it out for fun, but I haven't seen anything on them. They probobly have a small cache, but whatever... :) They rule the web hosting world, however!

Nah, i made this thread, because i've always thought about making it. Just never got around to it, lmao. But yeah.

Anyways.. remindme again (cause i never knew lol) whats the catch do on a processor, and also the FSB

The Xeon processor isn't built like the Opteron is. The Xeon is stricly for servers, and nothing more. The Opteron is meant for servers, but peopel have found a way to make it a gaming CPU. The Xeon really isn't a gaming CPU. If you want multitasking, get a Xeon, if you want multitasking and gaming, get an Athelon 64 X2 or an Opteron. Servers mainly run Linux SuSe, and seeing as how games typically don't run on Linux, it's best to leave the Xeon in a strictly server platoform. :)

ahh, thats where you are wrong ;) My cousin, a professor at a college in Utah, has a dual xeon (the college gave it to him) and its a workstation. Xeons are used in workstation and server platforms, not JUST servers. ;)

Well, they're main focus is servers, or workstations that don't run games. Basically what I'm saying is that Xeons = no gaming.

I have a few Workstations at work with Xeons, very old.

You really don't need these CPU's. Most people buy them for showing off, if they don't use them is work type loads. For me, got them for free.

And Ownage is correct, these ware made for Worstations as well as servers.

These are made for stress workloads, because they remain running for 24/7 for a few years.

Oh.. I see about the FSB. So.. Well.. Hmm.. I dont see how if they can run so fast, they cant be used for gaming. Even with low FSB, you could get like 4x1gb, and have alot of rame to compensate for the low levels of the FSB right?

Back
Top Bottom