INTEL DUAL CORES vs. AMD DUAL CORES

NeXuS said:
i meant Intels

Firstly, EVERY processor gets hot. However, some get hotter then others. But this can easily be countered. A CPU cooler can drop a processors temperatures down by at most 30C. I've personally seen it. So I know. Not to mention my last upgrade was $120 worth of cooling devices. :)

My point is that yes, Pentium D's do run hotter then AMD Athlon 64 X2's, HOWEVER! You can counter this with an easy installation of Artic Silver 5 thermalpaste, and a good Zalman CPU cooler, or any CPU cooler for that matter. Zalman is just notorious for cooling CPUs really well. So, yes, Intel's do run hot, but with heat comes tolerance.

Intel knows that their CPUs run hot, so they built the CPU to withstand a lot of heat. I have personal experience with this as well, I've overclocked my Pentium 4 Prescott to 3.64GHz and experienced some rather high temperatures, the maximum I reached was 76C. This is rather hot in most people's eyes, however, the Pentium 4 Prescott can withstand great amounts of heat. As can the Pentium D.

Don't let a little heat influence your decision on which processor to buy. You can make any processor just as cool as any other. It just takes a good coller to do it. :)

Zalman's are okay. The Scythe Ninja is the best air cooling heatsink in the market, followed by the ThermalRight XP-120. However, since they don't make the XP-120 anymore, the SI-120 replaces it and works just as well.

NeXuS said:
Dang 76 C your processor will not have a very long life span

Hes got a prescott core. Any those things produce heat like theres no tomorrow. I have the same core. And its like a little heater!

My point being, 76C really isnt that hot for a prescott. Mine runs faster then his, so even with out overclock. Under major stress, im sure it gets too like.. 82C.

heh.. my prescott ildes 45C, load 61C. but then again, I took that P.O.S. stock fan off and put a nice gigabyte fan on. (which makes less noise than the intel stock fan, two birds with one stone!)

Man, those Prescotts run warm. On a good day (more like on a cold, cold day), I'm running 24-25 degrees Celsius when left alone.

Right now, it's running at 30 degrees Celsius on stock cooling. GPU's at 44 degrees.

Yeah, and with mine.. Im like.. 60C just to use the internet, and listen to my music:)

I've always want to put my PC in the front yard on a really cold winter day, just to see how cold it would get down to. Never had the energy to do it because it's too darn cold to be working out there anyways.

Back
Top Bottom