Intel CPU that needs clearing up

Ghostwheel11

Solid State Member
Just a quick question since I've exhausted and/or ran out of patience with my research:

I have a P4 1.9Ghz, 400Mhz bus, 256k L2 cache, Socket 478 processor.

Question: Is this a "Northwood" or a "Willamette" processor? I can't seem to link the information to get a straight answer so I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks everyone

Man that's an old CPU. Do you know what process it uses? Aren't the Willamette core use a 0.18-micron fabrication process? I know for sure that the Northwood is made on Intel's 0.13-micron process.

looks like it's .18 micron.

Ah hell...this is gonna be a pain if it is a Willamette.

Not sure if there's any new motherboards out there that'll take a Will.

I'll tell ya what I'm *trying* to do. I've currently got an ASUS P4T-E with the craptastic RDRAM and instead of paying up the yahoo to replace all my 128s with 256s (for 1G RAM) I thought I'd just be clever and swap out the motherboard and get new (cheaper) DDR ram.

Not sure if that's going to happen now. I'm not really ready to upgrade the CPU yet since it runs fine for the most part...it's just that 512Mb RAM is holding me back.

Thanks for the reply TRDCorolla (how do you like that car?)

I couldn't find any motherboards that are compatible with that. Looks like you'll to do a swap pretty soon when you get around to it.

The car's been running very good for a Corolla. I've got the fastest Corolla around being supercharged and all. It came with the option so I went all out nuts. The motor wants to go. Too hard not to resist the need for speed, which is why I got a speeding ticket last week going 56 mph in a 40mph zone. Ouch, that will put a dent in my savings. The officer that gave that ticket to me has yet to turn in the tickets to the court so I'm just waiting right now.

Welp looks like I need new CPU/mobo/RAM...I was afraid of that.

Hey I know it's been said over and over again that AMD has narrowed the gap between Intel as far as quality goes, but you have to understand, I haven't owned an AMD since the nasty S7 K6-2/3 days. I'm a little scared about AMD so I think I need someone to hold my hand through an AMD upgrade....I think it's about time I gave AMD another shot since I'm a gamer.

As far as cars go: I *had* a '98 Integra LS that was a freakin' blast to drive but before I could do anything fun to it some jagdork in an Astrovan blew a red light doin' 50 and totaled my poor car. I've got an ES Lancer right now that get killer MPG, but really lacks in the *fun* department. I do have a friend that just bought the Corolla you got, minus the supercharger, and he drives it like he stole it so he must like it (although, he's not too smooth with the stick)

Thanks for the research bud, and for the replies!

You know what? I just looked at the ASUS P4T-E motherboard manual and it says under "Core Specifications", and I quote:

Intel Processor Support: Intel Socket 478 Pentium 4 / Northwood processors, 1.4 to 2.0Ghz and higher.

It doesn't make mention to Willamette.

Not sure if that means anything. Intel's little not-so-handy CPU indentify program doesn't tell you code names or process.

hmm i would asume it would work as long as its the proper socket. i cant see why it wouldnt. btw corolla i didnt even think about your name as a car for some reason. i didnt even know those family sedan corolla's got superchargers, any 1/4 mile times? or pics

You know what? They might work. I forgot they were all using the same socket 478. But most newer motherboards support the Prescott cores though. I don't know if it will make a difference if you have a Willamette core in there. I got caught up with the older and newer Pentium processors. I had a bunch of picts before on photobucket, but I deleted most of them to make space. Here's some. Keep in mind this first pic was when it was brand new:

100_0379.jpg

Here's my sig in a Corolla forum I belong to:

SigPict3.jpg

I can go out and take more but it's dark out already. It's a lot dirtier now. As far as quarter mile time goes, I haven't attempted them. The part I enjoy the most is the sound when I accelerate. Turbo's got their pshh, and I've got my rrrrrrr sound. It's neat to hear.

man i love your car, i always thought of them as sissy pos sedans...needs rims though. i like it, so clean and not all gay looking. 1/4 times? and whats TRD stand for?

TRD stands for "Toyota Racing Development". They are a division of Toyota that specialize in street, formula, and off road racing. I'll take more picts tomorrow and post some more pictures. The whole car's got a drop all the way around so I was afraid of getting bigger wheels. I'm having a hard time as it is scraping. My stock struts are taking a huge beating because of all the dips I go through. I can hear and feel a loud thump if I don't slow down in time for the potholes and dips.

Here's one from someone else in the forum that had a supercharger on their 03 COrolla, just like mine:

ts.jpg

Back
Top Bottom