Installing RAM

toole13

In Runtime
Today I opened the side of my tower to install another stick of RAM. I put it in, and turned on my computer and got this message as it booted up:

For Realtek RTL8139(X)/8130/810X PCI Fast Ethernet Controller v2.14
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.

Reboot and Selet proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected boot device and press a key.

That's the message I got, and it was a black screen with white font. I took the RAM back out and tried to turn on my computer, and got the same message. This message pops up right when I turn on the computer, I can't even log in or anything. Any idea what it may be/how I fix it?

Can you access the BIOS?

And do you still have your OS on discs?

The PXE error indicates that it is unable to boot from the network, which should be the last item in the boot order.

when i tried to access the BIOS (by pressing esc on boot up?) it didnt work and yea i have my OS on a disc

The PXE error indicates that it is unable to boot from the network, which should be the last item in the boot order.

Put the Windows CD in the drive and reboot, if the message to "Press any key to boot from CD..." appears, press enter.

If this works, let the machine finish booting from the CD, then select "R" for the repair option.

Log onto the C drive, and run chkdsk /p to repair any errors on the hard drive.

When chkdsk finishes running, type exit to reboot the machine and remove the CD.

Then try to boot without the CD to see if it fixed your problem.

If you get the same error with the CD in the drive, then the boot order may be messed up. If you can't access the BIOS the only way to fix this would be to reset your BIOS (remove the CMOS battery from your motherboard, wait 15 mins, then put it back in and try to boot).

This is, of course, assuming it is the problem.

when i put in the disc, a loading bar comes up and says "windows is loading files" and when it completely loads, it goes to a typical windows background screen with nothing on it (no writing, icons, nothing) except for a mouse pointer. thats all that happens

there is no "press any key to boot from CD" message

when i put in the disc, a loading bar comes up and says "windows is loading files" and when it completely loads, it goes to a typical windows background screen with nothing on it (no writing, icons, nothing) except for a mouse pointer. thats all that happens

there is no "press any key to boot from CD" message

Hmmm... Windows Vista, right?

yeah windows vista ultimate. why would this happen just by putting in a stick of RAM?

I think it is Vista Ultimate 32 bit but im not sure. it had a 1 GB stick and i tried to add another 1 GB stick

I think it is Vista Ultimate 32 bit but im not sure. it had a 1 GB stick and i tried to add another 1 GB stick

Oh well that should be fine.

I did a bit of research and apparently there is a known issue with the Install Windows box taking forever to appear (if you reached the vista background page as you said, there is supposed to be a prompt to select options).

Unplug any USB devices from your computer, then go through the boot process from the CD again to get to that screen, and wait there for 15-30 minutes to see if the box appears.

Back
Top Bottom