Installing an OS

george2

Daemon Poster
I have ME installed on my computer and I hate it. My friend burnt me 98 onto a disk and I wanted to know how I would take off ME and put 98 onto my computer. I open the disk while ME is running and all happens is it shows me all the files and that's it. I have no idea of what I have to do to install it.

You'll first need to format it, but you must do it before you start up windows, meaning that you have to start the process while starting up the BIOS
After you've formated it, then you just load in the cd and then follow the instructions
By the way ... your friend burnt you windows 98 ? Hmm ... i wouldn't be saying it on the internet

Search google for step by step guides to reformatiing ME, I would tell you but when its been done by lots of people its pointless. Search up and youll find it. BTW i would consider going XP and not 98. What specs do you have?

My specs? Ha it's a 7 year old computer with a 220mhz CPU with 64 SDRAM accompanying it. So I think it's safe to go with 98 plus I only have a 3 gig hard drive. I've got another computer with XP but this is my screw around computer.

George, this comp is sure very old. windows 95/98 will take it no problemo.

For Windows ME, it's recommended to have a 300MHZ or higher CPU to play the windows Media tools

Yeah well with the stuff I do on my computer it really dosen't matter but ME is a crap system anyway

Here's somthing that i found

"In Windows 98/Me, you have to partition and format your hard drive manually. It isn't that hard really; we'll start with the portioning process, which uses a DOS-based utility called FDISK. WebTechGeek.com

The Steps:

1. From within Windows, click the Start button and select Run. When the Run dialog box appears, enter FDISK into the Open box and click OK.

2. When FDISK starts (in a DOS window), you'll be asked if you want to enable large disk support. Answer Yes.

3. The FDISK menu is now displayed. Select the drive you want to partition, and then choose option 1 (Create DOS Partition or Logical DOS Drive).

4. When asked if you want to use the entire drive for your DOS partition, answer Yes. (If you're asked whether you want to enable FAT32 support, also answer Yes.)

5. After the partition is created, follow the onscreen prompts to exit FDISK and restart your computer.

6. After your new drive has been partitioned, you have to format it for use. To format a new hard drive manually.

AD: Advanced Registry Optimizer Updated, Make your PC faster and more stable in just few minutes.

Note: Don't run FDISK on an existing hard disk drive, unless you're really sure you want to return your hard drive to its original from-the-factory condition. Partitioning the drive will delete all data on the drive!

A. From within Windows, open My Computer.

B. Right-click the drive you want to format, and select Format from the pop-up menu.

C. When the Format Local Disk dialog box appears, select the File System you want to use (only select NTFS if you're running Windows XP; for older operating systems, choose FAT32), enter a label for the disk, select the Quick Format option, and then click Start.

D. After your new drive has been partitioned and formatted, it's ready to store whatever data you need stored.

you can not format the same drive the operating system is on

1) download the 98bootdisc to a floppy diskette.

2) reboot your system with the disk in the floppy drive and it will create a dos invironment on your HDD make sure that you choose to use a cd driver option when you are asked.

3) when it gets thru loading you will get the A prompt A:\>_ which looks lik that
type help and it will give you all the commands that you will need to fdisk and format the drive If you choose this option you will have to reboot to get out and start all over with the floppy disk and all till you get back to the A prompt again.

4) or you can just type format c:\s then follow the prompts
this will wipe the drive and format it in Fat32 when asking for file allocation just leave blank
after the formating is done you will again be at the
A prompt then type this E:\setup and install the 98 install disk into the cd rom drive that would normally be the D drive. and press enter.

and away you go

Back
Top Bottom