installing new hard drive

andyk09

Solid State Member
Hi, i've just installed a new 160GB HDD into my computer, and it went fine everything installed ok and works. my old 80GB HDD i've put into my sisters computer but it wouldn't boot from cd to format and re-install windows XP. So i went into BIOS settings and changed the first boot sequence from floppy to CD ROM. then it booted up from CD i formatted it and re-installed windows, but when it restarts, it starts going through the booting sequence gets to the windows xp screen and thats it. it doesn't go to the desktop screen. it doesn't do anything. i've tryed changing the first boot sequence back to floppy but that doesn't do anything........... Can anyone help me with this on.. Oh yeah the computer seems to recognize that theres a hard drive and it goes through the installation process so i doubt the HDD is dead.....????????????????????????????????????????????? HELP?????????????

perhaps the install didnt complete as it should. Try again ... but maybe this time try using a 98 boot disk to FDISK the drive first, then do like you did before having the CD drive as your first boot option and try loading XP again.

Was this drive the primary/secondary MASTER in your machine? Check the jumpers to make sure it is set as master, and that you have it installed in correct order on the ide cable. If you have it installed on a cable with a cd rom drive attached as well ... make sure that the hard drive is set as master and is last on the cable (at the end) and the cd-rom is slave and is connected at the middle connector of the cable.

Back
Top Bottom