Installing new ATA HDD problem.

Tudor

Solid State Member
Hello guys ! So here's my problem: i recently got a free 80gig hdd from a friend, that i need to set up in parallel with 2 other hard drives that i currently have. However, i only have 2 IDE cables, each with 2 IDE slots. on one cable i have hooked up 2 hdd's(master + slave) and on the other one i have connected a DVD drive , so the only possibility is to hook up my third drive with the dvd drive. But when i plug the 3rd hdd with the dvd, the PC doesn't boot, instead a window appears with the following message "analyzing network media type" etc etc.I changed the jumper to slave/cable select yet i get the same message. I know for a fact that the hard drive works, because i unplugged my current slave and plugged in the new one and i formatted it, copied some files on it. Any idea on how to fix my problem ? I think it might have something to do with the jumper settings :-?

What does the BIOS say? Back in the day, I was forever getting confused with IDE setups, but seeing what the BIOS said was often the key. Your OS HDD probably should be the master. OK, so... this is how I picture it...

Cable 1:
OS HDD = Master
Other HDD = Slave

Cable 2:
DVD Drive = Master
New HDD = Slave

Sorry if I misread and you have already done that.

Check your BIOS has all the right HDD settings, the cables are working and the correct (I doubt speed this matters, regarding functionality, but it has been years since I dealt with IDE, so I thought I'd add it) type. The jumper I imagine will look like:

: : : :

Master -> Slave -> Cable Select -> Some other thing that I can't remember its function. (possibly compatibility for older operating systems or hardware.)

Sorry, again, if this is obvious to you or you've tried this stuff, etc.

Oh, check the pins aren't bent or missing.

Lastly, and doubtfully, it could be a software issue, in which a driver is configured incorrectly, or a setting somewhere is causing problems. I know there can be a problem with an HDD over a certain size on Windows XP, unless you first enable a certain option and install the SP1 or 2. (I believe this might just be a data loss issue)

Anywho, can't suggest much else without knowing more, so:

Tell me/us more about what your BIOS shows.

Tell me/us exactly what your jumper settings are for each IDE device, preferably how I did above, to make things easier.

Check your BIOS settings.

Check your cable, or try a different cable as a diagnostic.

Check the pins for bent or missing pins.

Check to see (if Windows) Disk Management correctly shows your new HDD, and be sure that it has a drive letter assigned to the HDD.

EDIT:

Sorry, after re-reading your post, I realised that you already fully explained how your IDE is setup, so ignore that part of my post. :p And after re-re-reading, it looks like there might be a problem with the cable or the pins, so have a gander at that.

Last edited:
YOu mention changing the jumper between slave/CS on the hard drive, but what about the optical? Maybe that is set wrong and now that you've added a second drive it's getting confused.

Well when it comes to working in BIOS i admit i'm a BIG NOOB, i wouldn't know what to look for ... my BIOS settings are mostly auto i guess since i never tried to change anything.

Regarding my jumper settings , on my MASTER drive i have the following jumper settings(unless it's opposite lol)
- for slave : : : : :
- for master w/ slave : : : : :
- single or master : : : : : no jumper needed
- cable select : : : : :

On the Optical drive i have the following jumper settings,

- CS : : :
- slave : : :
- master : : :

The dvd drive has lines drawn to the pins, which is which, that's why i kinda think i got the wrong jumper settings for the hard drives if the HDD jumper settings are the same with the optical settings. - because as you can see the cs/slave settings are different how i wrote them, but i know for sure the optical jumper settings are written the correct way.

So here are some pictures with the drives with the jumpers
i didn't know how to set the jumper cables for the second iDE cable where i have my optical + slave 2 ...

IDE drives can be a PITA. I like to set all the drives to Cable Select. Most motherboards support it unless you have something really old.

IDE cables have 3 connectors on them. The blue connector plugs into the motherboard, the black one plugs into what will be the master drive and the gray connector plugs into the slave drive.

If your cables aren't color coded, then the connectors that are closer to each other are the ones that will plug into the drives. The one that is in the middle is the slave.

i do have my cables color coded, and i have the blues in the mobo, the black end is in the master and the gray is connected to the slave . I just tried setting up the jumpers to the hdd's according to the optical jumper scheme but the PC doesn't even boot up, so the jumper scheme i wrote up for the hdd is good i guess :-? .. i'll try setting the optical to master and the hdd to slave and if that doesn't work i'll set the jumpers from the optical drive and the hdd to CS and see what happens.

god damn it :) i failed to see an important difference between the 2 hdd's that i had until now, and the new one... the old ones(2 x WD) have 5 rows of pins while the new one(maxtor - ultra pata) has 4 rows of pins and the thing is it doesn't have the pin config drawn on it, like the WD ones have, so i don't know which is which. I tried setting the optical on master and tried switching the pin from the new hard in every slot, but every time the ""analyzing network media type" shows up :/ i guess i'll have to get a someone knows computers to take a look at mine.... still waiting for other suggestions

Back
Top Bottom