Installing More Ram!

gibsonsg0005

Baseband Member
Hi,
My computer consists of a P4 3GHz, 512mb Ram, 80gb HD, Windows XP Pro. I wanted to install 512mb more of RAM on my computer. How do I know what kind of Ram I need? What are some good brands to look for?
Thank You

Well, I'm gonna need some more specs, like what kind of motherboard you are using. If its a pre-built comp, give me the brand and model.

Check out crucial.com - it'll tell you what kind to get (assuming you have a Dell, HP, Gateway, etc.)

Other than that, assuming you have standard DDR SDRAM, I would recommend either adding two 256 MB sticks or two 512 MB sticks. The reason it's better to add two is something called dual channel. It basically increases the performance of the RAM. Other than buying from Crucial, I would recommend one of these options:
512 MB:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141413

1 GB:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145440

Anyway, the top brands are Corsair, Kingston, Crucial, and OCZ.

My computer was custom built so I didn't really know the specs but I used the Cpuz program and here's what I got... I'm guessing the "mainboard" is the motherboard, and it says I have a MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD / MODEL:MS-6540. And for the RAM in "Memory" it doesn't say the type, it just says 512mb, but in "SPD" it says MEMORY SLOT SELECTION: DDR. MANUFACTURER: APACER TECHNOLOGY, and some further information. I hope this helps.

EDIT: In Freesyler105's reply, the links have are selling 2 sticks of RAM each. I already have the 1 512mb. Could I buy 1 more 512mb or do I have 2 buy 2 of the same?
I'm tryin 2 stay pretty cost efficient, cause lookin at Newegg, they have some sticks with some pretty good reviews for around $40.

if you only have one stick in there, just go with one more stick, that way it goes into dual channel.

I'm willing to bet you have PC3200. You can also find out by lookin on the sticker on the RAM. 99% of the time, these stickers say not only the size of the stick, but what kind it is.

Back
Top Bottom