installing Linux from a USB flashdrive

ace777

Fully Optimized
I have a broken CD drive and no OS on the laptop, I do have a ubuntu ISO and a jumpdrive and the boot options allow from a USB device, Is there anyway to install an linux OS from a USB drive, IDC which flavor of linux just as long as it will work with the sims. The Hardware is up to speed it just doesn't specify which versions are compatible.

cool
thanks for the help, But windows 7 expires after a while so I was looking for a more permanent, solution, I have XP ISOs and linux so I hope it transfers thanks so much!

The UltraISO will take any iso image and make a bootable flash drive with it. I used that for seeing GParted live as well as the live form of ubuntu placed on a few as well as the 7 RCs. The shareware download works well for this.

As for XP here prior to the RCs I originally had that setup in a dual boot with Vista. Since then XP is now gone and Vista runs on the latest Virtual PC beta available for 7.

The flash drives actually serve 3 different purposes here. Besides a fast install of one of the RCs or one of the distros once I clear up some drive space I can boot live for drive partitioning or running one of the distros installed as a data recovery tool on the larger models.

If you have the drive space available you could always have 7 installed on a second partition or drive with XP on the first and later simply reformat the 7 primary to see how the next version feels before it comes out on 10/22.

dodge he doesent need to know how to build a flash drive

He does want to know how to make the flash drive bootable. With UltraISO that's a simple 3 step process! The images here will show how fast and easy that is.

1)you browse to the folder where you keep the distro's iso image once downloaded.

installlinuxfromflash1.jpg

2)You then select the flash drive the image will be placed on. You may have to use the format option first.

installlinuxfromflash2.jpg

Once formatted if needed once the drive is select you click the write button to watch that go to work rather quickly. Once that is complete and you close it out the next step is simply to boot from the flash drive itself in order to run the installer.

Back
Top Bottom