IBM T20 Think Pad

tankerdanker

Beta member
I hope I'm posting this up in the right spot? Lets start off by saying hello to everyone an of course I'm a newbie here to this forum.....lol

Now the question I have is I got a IBM T20 Think Pad the original hard drive for it (12gig) Is now out of it an replaced with a upgraded hard drive. Now I had someone put it in an mess with the BIO settings or what ever eles I'm not sure but my problem now if its got a fresh hard drive in it yet its running like 100 times slower what do I have to do to try to speed it up?

I'm new at computers type stuff but I also enjoy learning something new everyday so If you could help me I'd appreciate it

Thank You

Well, I'd like to welcome you to our community :)

First, your thread isn't in the right place. It's under the General Software/Hardware lounge you should post, so I will redirect.

Second, for your problem, chances are that the kid messed up a etting that could run your PC slower. Try loading the BIOS default.

Well, I'd like to welcome you to our community :)

First, your thread isn't in the right place. It's under the General Software/Hardware lounge you should post, so I will redirect.

Second, for your problem, chances are that the kid messed up a etting that could run your PC slower. Try loading the BIOS default.

Well I'm sorry for not placing it up in the right place an I thank you for the default advise (i defaulted it) an its still slow from the time i start to boot it up an windows loads up i go to hit my internet explorer icon an honestly it takes like 4-5 minutes for internet explorer to appear

This is a fresh hard drive it shouldnt run this slow should it?

Have you installed all your drivers and windows updates etc. Is it possible you could have a virus, or have you not been online yet. Are you running the same OS as before?

Oh, I didn't read correctly. You got a new drive. Well, you could have some drivers to install, but even without the drivers, it would still load faster than that. What's the OS?

Oh, I didn't read correctly. You got a new drive. Well, you could have some drivers to install, but even without the drivers, it would still load faster than that. What's the OS?

Well like I said I'm preatty new to all this computer stuff as far as the BIOS things go dont know nothing at all about them an where to set them at so on

As far as the OS I'm assuming Operating System? Windows XP

Right, I got a hunch,

If you go to the device manager, to get to this go to the control panel then click on system > hardware > device manager.

Or right click the my computer icon, go to properties, hardware then device manager.

Anyway, once your in the device manager, make sure there are no devices listed with a yellow question mark next to it.

If that's ok, then proceed to open the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" (or something very similar) tree, and open the properties page for ATA Channel 1 or 0 (I recomend you check both as I'm not sure what one your HDD will be installed to).

As I'm using Vista, it may look slightly different but click on the advance settings tab within the properties dialog box and make sure that DMA either mode 3,4 or 5 is currently in use for all the devices currently listed on that channel, ie, your new hard drive should be on one of the two property sheets. Just make sure that is isn't in PIO mode only.

If your not entire sure what your looking for, a few screen shots of the property sheets would be useful.

Let me know how you get on.

Oh, while your computer is busy loading things, does the HDD constantly keep on clicking, as if it is struggling to read/write data. Just because it is a new HDD doesn't mean it may not be damaged. Try keeping an ear out on that.

Back
Top Bottom