I Need Help Deciding Between An Asus U52F-BBL9 Or A Dell Inspiron 17R-2950MRB Laptop

Illustrator76

Solid State Member
1) What is your budget? $800.00 max.

2) What size laptop would you prefer?
15"-17" screen, but preferably 17".

3) Where will you buying this laptop? United States at Best Buy.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
I'm open to any brand, although I hear that Asus is really good at making quality laptops.

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? Maybe, but I would prefer new.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this laptop?

- Graphics programs like Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.
- Maybe using a 3D modeling program like Maya.
- Web Browsing, Internet and E-mail.
- Microsoft Office.
- Maybe the occasional movie.
- Maybe the occasional video game, but nothing crazy intensive like Crysis or Battlefield Bad Company 2.

7) Will you be taking the laptop with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Both.

8) Will you be playing games on your laptop? If so, please state which games or types of games? Occasional games, but nothing super graphic-intensive.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? The more the better.

10) Would you prefer to see the laptops you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? I like to see what I am purchasing most of the time.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc. Windows 7.

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? 1366x768 or higher.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? It doesn't matter either way, I have a NICE HP desktop monitor that is glossy sitting right next to one that isn't glossy, so either one is fine. I do like the nice colors that glossy screens display.

14) Are the laptop's looks and stylishness important to you? Somewhat, I don't like some of the Toshiba laptops that have the large battery that kind of acts as a stand for the laptop.

15) When are you buying this laptop? ASAP, within the next day or so.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last? A few years, but the longer the better.

17) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 640GB? Do you want a SSD drive?
I can get away with 200GB and be set for life, but I am not opposed to having a larger sized hard drive. I do not need an SSD at this time.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive? Yes I need an optical drive, Blu-Ray would be a nice bonus, but it isn't absolutely necessary.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Basically, I have to choose a laptop from Best Buy because someone is helping me purchase it using their Best Buy charge card, so any purchasing option other than Best Buy, unfortunately, will not work for me.

I looked at reviews on PCMag.com for these laptops and both of them got great reviews, I really do like the 17" screen on the Dell, but the battery life may be a cause for concern. I'm just not sure if fronting the extra $100.00 will be worth it for the Dell computer. I have a desktop set-up that is very old (other than my dual monitors) that I am considering permanently replacing with my new laptop. I am still not 100% sure on that though, as I may build myself a super-powerful desktop sometime in the near future.

Here are links to both of the laptops that I was looking at:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+...Navy/1257685.p?id=1218243754694&skuId=1257685

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+...lack/1180025.p?id=1218231024657&skuId=1180025

Someone recommended this one to me, the specs look good, but it is refurbished so I am a little hesitant. Also, I am not sure if the AMD Phenom II chip in it is as good as the Intel Core i5 in the other ones that I was looking at.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Fa...ento/1559308.p?id=1218268436255&skuId=1559308

I am honestly torn and I need some advice on this decision. I really would appreciate some technical guidance on this decision! Thanks in advance!

ive had ASUS computers in the past and they've been largley crap if im honest (different story with their components though)

personally id go with the Dell on this occasion.

just because ive had generally better experiences with dells, and you said you wanted it to last a while.

ive had ASUS computers in the past and they've been largley crap if im honest (different story with their components though)

personally id go with the Dell on this occasion.

just because ive had generally better experiences with dells, and you said you wanted it to last a while.
That's the thing, I hear some people that say that Asus makes great laptops and that Dells suck, I have heard differing opinions on HP's as well. What about the technical configuration of all three of them? Which one do you feel is the best laptop for my dollar. I am really trying to break down the technical aspects of the computers/features based on my needs and approach my decision from that standpoint.

Thanks for your help, BTW.

I personally think Dell computers are great, we use then at work and we dont get many issues with them hardware wise

I personally think Dell computers are great, we use then at work and we dont get many issues with them hardware wise
What do you think about it compared to the Asus laptop that I posted? Do you think the extra hundred dollars would be worth getting the Dell instead? What about the chip inside of the Dell compared to the HP laptop with the AMD Phenom? Thanks.

I'll sum up the main points on all three

ASUS

Intel Core i5 @ 3.00GHz
15.6" 720p Display
4GB DDR3
Intel graphics
640GB HDD

Dell

Intel Core i5 @ 2.53GHz
17.3" HD display
6GB DDR3
Intel graphics
640GB HDD

HP
AMD Phenom II @ 2.1GHz
17.3" HD Display
4GB DDR3
Mobility Radeon HD5470
640GB HDD

now, the HP says refurbished, and the only review suggests that this might be a bad choice from the word go.

however, to the nitty-gritty.

Best for processor: Asus, Core i5 @ 3.00GHz with a 3MB cache.
Best RAM: Dell, 6GB DDR3 (the most) but no frequency stated.
best graphics: HP, Mobility Radeon owns the intel chipsets.
best hard drive: HP, 640GB BUT at 7200RPM instead of 5400RPM
Best display: Dell, 17" WLED.

that puts the Dell out front since the HP is a refurb and apparently they arent in too great condition.

thats my 2 cents ;)

EDIT: i also just thought, since i have no personal experience with the specific models in question, id like to add that the reviews on the quoted site also point the Dell out as being more customer-friendly than the other two, by a reasonable margin.

Dell - 4.9/5 from 22 reviews
ASUS - 3.7/5 from 18 reviews
HP - 1/5 from 1 review

huh, but its still not that accurate when fanboyism seems to play a part. Saying 'nothing' as a negative really doesnt help much. lol

Thanks ~Darkseeker~, that does help me out with breaking these laptops down. I know of people that swear by refurb computers, but I am always kind of leery about buying things like that. I really don't listen to consumer reviews on sites like Best Buy either, because you can never be never sure if those "reviewers" know what they are talking about, lol. I guess my decision kind of comes down to the Dell and the Asus then. I would like a 17" display, but the battery life and slightly slower processor on the Dell is kind of scaring me. I can always upgrade the RAM myself, so I am not too concerned with only having 4GB of RAM in the Asus (although, more is always better).

if you're not going to be TOO heavy on it, 4GB should be enough. Its around standard now, ive only got 4GB in my gaming rig :p

The dell talks about the 'turbo boost' to 2.8GHz, which is only 200MHz slower than the Asus there. Ive never used turbo boost so i can account for it. And as for the battery, bigger screen means more energy to run the screen, and more RAM and such uses more battery power, sod's law really.

i suppose its mostly an environmental factor now, of how often the battery power is going to need to be used (honestly, my laptop is MOSTLY a desktop these days) and how much the slight reduction in CPU freqency is going to effect your use of it.

Do NOT buy into the bull@&# that is INTEL GRAPHICS. As much as I hesitate to say, get the HP instead of the other choices. Intel and Graphics just don't mix. I wish they'd get out of the market. Their CPUs rock, but it's taken them how many years to get where nVidia and ATI were almost a decade ago? Ugh!

Back
Top Bottom